Hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all

Just wanted to say hi, I'm new on here and I have a 1980 XS1100 SG. I bought it last summer from a 74 yr old that decided to retire from riding.He owned it since 1983, buying it off the original owner. It has 13,000 mi. I have changed the original way it looked to make it "my own",but have retained all the original parts to put it back to original when I decide to. Thanks to everybody on here for all your help. John
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Hi, welcome. Looks clean. good score.
    Rich (Ringo)
    '79 XS11 Special
    '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

Comment

Thanks RJ , It sat for over 10 yrs (inside)so had to rehab carbs and mufflers replaced because rotted (I have kerker turnouts on it) the mufflers you see were way to quiet,couldn't hear it run.Also had to do the pick-up coil repair(learned on here).
      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
      1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
        Just wanted to say hi, I'm new on here and I have a 1980 XS1100 SG. I bought it last summer from a 74 yr old that decided to retire from riding.He owned it since 1983, buying it off the original owner. It has 13,000 mi. I have changed the original way it looked to make it "my own",but have retained all the original parts to put it back to original when I decide to. Thanks to everybody on here for all your help. John
        Hi John and welcome,
        PO was 74 and quit riding, eh? Now I can say this because I too am 74, but you kids should mind your manners. Silly old fart, shoulda hung a sidecar on it.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi John welcome to the club... nice bike, good score

he gave it up @ 74?! if I'm still walking @ 74 I hope I'm still riding. Of course I've got a LONG WAY to go

See ya around the forums
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

If I make it to 74 (not so long as it used to be), I'll probably get a sidehack or trike and be curmudgeonly like Fred...

Oh yeah, welcome and nice Special!
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Welcome aboard!
              Nice find!
              and good plan on keeping the original stuff.
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Thanks all, and Fred, I think the reason he gave it up is because his grandson died in a motorcycle accident. He really loved the bike. You guys and ladies really have some beautiful Yammies on here. I've had bikes for 40 years and I plan to keep riding, mmmm.sidecar? will have to keep that in mind.
                FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Wow... tragic.
                  Glad he sold this one to you. Sounds like you'll do right by her...

I think Fred has a lot of us convinced that a sidecar is the way to go when we get too old to hold them up by ourselves... Okay, mine was lowered so I could do that already... but eventually, the sidecar might come into play as well.
                  lol
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

Plus one

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                    Hi John welcome to the club... nice bike, good score

he gave it up @ 74?! if I'm still walking @ 74 I hope I'm still riding. Of course I've got a LONG WAY to go

See ya around the forums
                    My son strongly urged me to give up the bikes when I turned 70, ( He's a lawyer).
                    That sure as hell didn't work. Might work on them more than ride now, BUT STILL RIDE!
                    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                      - - - My son - - - ( He's a lawyer).
                      Hi Tom,
                      it takes a real man to admit to a thing like that.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Tom,
                        LMAO.... oh Fred you just made my evening! nothing like a shot to the nuts among friends

Tom, don't take anything you hear seriously. Unless its good advice. trust me... if its good advice you'll get brow beat into submission just find all my posts on my LED install issues. I've learned being told ONCE is enough with these guys just take the advice and try it but I'm sure you know all of this by now.
                        Last edited by ddragon63; 02-11-2012, 12:41 AM. Reason: got 2 people mixed up.. my bad
                        Don
                        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Fred:

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          Hi Tom,
                          As long as he lets me drive his 911 when I visit, I can't complain.

At on time he leaned heavily toward selling cars
                          Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                          stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Welcome Cuda, and nice looking bike you got there.

Don't feel to bad Tom, I married a chemist. And then a year later she decided to become a lawyer. So we spent everything I made in the first four years of our marriage teaching her how to take everything I am going to make for the rest of my life. It also just exasperates the old saying that every man has to decide on his wedding day if he wants to be happy or right, cause you don't get both.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                              every man has to decide on his wedding day if he wants to be happy or right, cause you don't get both.
                              and sometimes... neither
                              lol

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X