Vetter hard bags - No keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter hard bags - No keys

I was just given a pair of Vetter Hard bags that was on a XS11 Special but there's no keys to go with them. The fellow who had them sold the trunk and gave the keys away with that. I have the mounting hardware but there's two locks on each bag; one to open the bag and the other to release the bag so you can carry it like luggage.

I wrote Craig Vetter & he gave me a link to his site where he says there's no replacement keys for them and to drill the lock mechanism out and then buy a new replacement and modify it to fit. That won't help the lock that releases the bag from the bolted on hardware. What is offered is near the top of the following URL.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vet...questions.html

I tried the double sided key from my Vetter V faring in hopes but... no cigar, it won't fit in the lock.

Here are some shots of one of the bags & you can see the door lock in the first photo & the mounting hardware lock in the 2nd photo. The 3rd lets you see the back of the locking mechanism:

Anyone have this issue before & know how I might best deal with a missing key since I can't get one from Vetter? If you have the same bags could you send me a photo of the kind of key that it uses so I can show it to a locksmith?

Thanks!

Getting closer...
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
    I was just given a pair of Vetter Hard bags that was on a XS11 Special but there's no keys to go with them. The fellow who had them sold the trunk and gave the keys away with that. I have the mounting hardware but there's two locks on each bag; one to open the bag and the other to release the bag so you can carry it like luggage.

I wrote Craig Vetter & he gave me a link to his site where he says there's no replacement keys for them and to drill the lock mechanism out and then buy a new replacement and modify it to fit. That won't help the lock that releases the bag from the bolted on hardware. What is offered is near the top of the following URL.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vet...questions.html

I tried the double sided key from my Vetter V faring in hopes but... no cigar, it won't fit in the lock.

Here are some shots of one of the bags & you can see the door lock in the first photo & the mounting hardware lock in the 2nd photo. The 3rd lets you see the back of the locking mechanism:

Anyone have this issue before & know how I might best deal with a missing key since I can't get one from Vetter? If you have the same bags could you send me a photo of the kind of key that it uses so I can show it to a locksmith?

Thanks!

Getting closer...
    Send me a PM to remind me, I got new keys made for mine, so I have the blank type for them which should help the locksmith although that still might be tough. The lock that releases them from the frame is really just like the one that locks the cover, it just has a little cam on it that spreads the spring to let it loose, but it's basically the same lock assy and can be replaced with a new lock just like the others can.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I took mine to a locksmith, and he cut 1 new key for it. If they all came as a set, all 4 locks should use the same key. You should have the lock mechanisms cleaned though, unless you feel comfortable doing it yourself.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I bought a fairing without the keys for the covers on each side. I used a thin piece of metal and a small standard blade as a torque wrench and picked the locks open. Once open your locks maybe easier to dismount and take to a lock smith to rekey. Once I lost my ignition key. I took the ignition lock to a yamaha dealer and he made me a new key. I wonder if a whiz like that can make a new key if you have blanks. Worth a try.
        Ole Jack
        J.D."Jack" Smith
        1980G&S "Halfbreed"
        1978E straight job
        "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

You might be surprised at what a good locksmith can do. I bought a used car that the owner had lost the trunk key to (it had a inside release, so she didn't care). I thought for sure the locksmith would pull the lock, but he didn't; he simply found the right blank that would fit, then put it in and wiggled it back and forth until the lock pins marked the blank. He pulled it out, cut it, did some minor filing on it, and I had a key! Fifteen minutes and $25! You won't get this at the dealer or hardware store!
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Are these locks "one key fits all" ? What I mean is will my keys fit your bags or is each bag set unique?

Larry
            Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
            ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
            Dirt Rider 1970-1980
            Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
            Couch Potato 2000-Present
            1980 XS1100 Standard
            1979 XS650 Special
            2000 BMW R1150GS

Comment

They might be filled with 'hunerds!!
              RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Jat...

"The fellow who had them sold the trunk and gave the keys away with that."

Would You be able to track down the new owner of the trunk and plead your case for this persons extra key or pay, him or her, for a copy ?
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I tried a couple of the local locksmiths & none of them thought they had the blanks for it. All I know is the key for the Windjammer V faring is not the right kind of key, it's larger & won't even start to go in. Finally went to a Locksmith 1/2 Hr away with a good selection of blanks & a good reputation but the "master keys" he has that would slide in, didn't unlock anything.

He was able to pick the lock on the cover but not the one that locks the body mount. He said to leave the lock with him & he'll try and make a key to work & that ought to open the other locks & then he'd make the one to the faring match so one key will fit everything. If not, then he'll sell me 5 new locks & get the cams traded to the new tumblers.

I was hoping to figure how to do this the cheapest way possible but that may be a long shot. Depends on whether he can make a key for one and it fits all. No matter what, it's going to take locksmith time and that's going to add up $ fast, specially if there's new parts involved.

I'm thinking that though these mounts were on a XS11 special, they're not right for the XJ11. The bags are still attached but I removed the leather bags and tried mating the mounts and they're not making sense to me. If you look at the above bottom (#3) photo, the bolt & rectangular washers are right where the latch for the seat goes. The upper left (as you look at the photo) bolt hole, the one above the frame lock might fit where the turn signals go but I'll have to remove the turn signals to use that hole. It's not looking like these frames are going to fit. If the XS11 special bag frame is supposed to exchange with the XJ11, I can't quite see it happening.

I may have to have some welding done and modify these bag frames to fit. Not sure how to make that happen but I'll figure it out. If someone has this kind of bag mounted on their XJ11, could you remove the bag and let me see how you have it bolted to the frame?

Thanks!
                  82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

b1lock

I have a set of these bags on my XS. They kept coming loose cause the locks were worn. Then one fell off going down the road! So I took the bags off, and removed the hairpin lock from the bracket. Just drill out the rivets. Then I drilled a hole in the big pin that sticks out from the bag and put a hitch pin thru it. They aren't locked to the bike anymore, but I don't worry about them falling off, either.

Comment

Originally posted by b1lock View Post
                      I have a set of these bags on my XS. They kept coming loose cause the locks were worn. Then one fell off going down the road! So I took the bags off, and removed the hairpin lock from the bracket. Just drill out the rivets. Then I drilled a hole in the big pin that sticks out from the bag and put a hitch pin thru it. They aren't locked to the bike anymore, but I don't worry about them falling off, either.
                      No need to do that! You can get new hairpin clips from Vetter. They are a known wear point and need to be replaced eventually.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

I found this place and they do great work.
                        https://www.easykeys.com
                        Follow the instructions and you'll be able to ID the lock and they will make you a key and send it.
                        For those who faught for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never taste.
                        Unknown deffender of Khe Sahn

Comment

New locks

You can get replacement locks for the bags at McMaster Carr (McMaster.com) for less than $5 each and keyed alike if you want.....
                          I would love to have a set of bags like that.
                          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                          Drilled airbox
                          Tkat fork brace
                          Hardly mufflers
                          late model carbs
                          Newer style fuses
                          Oil pressure guage
                          Custom security system
                          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...