new xs11f owner in Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new xs11f owner in Tx

Hello XS/XJ devotees. I just purchased a 1979 XS1100f standard for the princely sum of $500. When I saw the ad on CL and found that the bike had the touring package I figured I could at least sell those accessories to break even, get the bike running and sell it to help fund a couple of other projects I have going.
    Rode down to look at it w/ $ in hand and got the full picture. I'm getting goose bumps now just reliving this. The bike was being sold by a couple of grandchildren of the PO, who had just passed at the age of 92. He had put the bike up in '05 as he was just too darn old to ride anymore. Hope I'm still riding in 42 years lol.

Turns out the PO was a one owner and the bike was a 79, not an 81 as advertised. The title I have has his name on it and is the original title. Bike was bought at Garland Cycle Sales which I remember when I was a kid. All the better in my book. Iv'e owned a 79 xs750f triple standard for years. Turns out the 1100 was manufactured 6/79 and the 750 7/79. There is a good chance both bikes were assembled by the same people. Add to that the fact I graduated from high school in 1979, I already knew I was going to keep this 11.
    Sorry for being so long winded. Bottom line: Im less then two weeks into deconstructing the beast and have a jewel. I'm in the process of aquiring some parts from members and ebay and want to get this bike bone stock.
    It has the "macho maroon" livery used on the 78, but i'm guessing it was one of those transitional months (june)....makes it kind of rare lol. I may need some help from some of the gurus in here and will help in kind.

Dave
    1979 Yamaha XS11f
    1979 Yamaha XS750f
    1988 BMW K100rs
    1978 Kaw Kz750b3 twin

Lest I forget, here are some pics:

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/...allas/XS1100F/
    1979 Yamaha XS11f
    1979 Yamaha XS750f
    1988 BMW K100rs
    1978 Kaw Kz750b3 twin

Comment

Nice catch! Welcome aboard!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by CafeDallas View Post
        ...It has the "macho maroon" livery used on the 78, but i'm guessing it was one of those transitional months (june)....makes it kind of rare lol. I may need some help from some of the gurus in here and will help in kind...
        Nope, that's the stock 'Magenta Red', not 'Macho Maroon'. They're close, but not quite the same. And that's the Vetter/Yamaha fairing, not the Pacifico you would normally find in '79, so the fairing was probably added at a later date. But a nice example all the same; the hardest part to find will the OEM exhaust if your going for a complete 'restore'...

Welcome!
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

very nice find my man.... welcome to the club. If you dig into my threads I've posted pictures of my XS11 appropriately named "Old Man" My Dad was the original owner and I inherited after he passed. Bikes with heritage are hard to come by. keep em running
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

got any plans for the running boards? does anyone know if they will fit on a SF? If your looking to off them and they'll fit a sf I'd be interested in them

thanks
            Don
            Don
            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Bike may have been first sold in '81. Some States use the "first sold" date as a "year model" date! The fairing is '79/80, and a Vetter model, not a Pacifico. I would just get the bike running, and enjoy it. You can bring it back slowly, and enjoy the looks as you pull up to the (insert location here).
              Ask away, and do take a look at some of the posts in the lower part of the forum. And when I get a chance to ride East again, I'll need to make sure you do a GOOD JOB of careing for the bike you now own!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Nope, that's the stock 'Magenta Red', not 'Macho Maroon'. They're close, but not quite the same. And that's the Vetter/Yamaha fairing, not the Pacifico you would normally find in '79, so the fairing was probably added at a later date. But a nice example all the same; the hardest part to find will the OEM exhaust if your going for a complete 'restore'...

Welcome!
                I'm not convinced on the correct color. Iv'e seen the "magenta red" in the flesh back in the day and in pics on the net. This is almost a deep brown w/ yellow metalflake.

I think you are right about the po getting the fairing after purchase as their are other indicators. As far as the stock mufflers go, that will be the inhibiting factor in a total resto. The mufflers the po welded on will be gone soon. The stock header is amazingly clean. I will either keep it on and get a couple of nice afermarket cans or find a nice 4-1 header. This until I find some clean stockers (lol). I'll be as old as the po when that happens, if i'm lucky. Fortunately, everything else is as it should be.
                1979 Yamaha XS11f
                1979 Yamaha XS750f
                1988 BMW K100rs
                1978 Kaw Kz750b3 twin

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Bike may have been first sold in '81. Some States use the "first sold" date as a "year model" date! The fairing is '79/80, and a Vetter model, not a Pacifico. I would just get the bike running, and enjoy it. You can bring it back slowly, and enjoy the looks as you pull up to the (insert location here).
                  Ask away, and do take a look at some of the posts in the lower part of the forum. And when I get a chance to ride East again, I'll need to make sure you do a GOOD JOB of careing for the bike you now own!
                  Ray, the bike's title shows it was purchased new on June 21, 1979 by the po. From what you all are saying is that he must have gotten the touring bug a couple of years later. I'm guessing that the local yami shop had the package he wanted a couple of years later and he bought it. It's a puzzle wrapped in an inigma or somesuch lol
                  1979 Yamaha XS11f
                  1979 Yamaha XS750f
                  1988 BMW K100rs
                  1978 Kaw Kz750b3 twin

Comment

I'm not convinced on the correct color. I've seen the "magenta red" in the flesh back in the day and in pics on the net. This is almost a deep brown w/ yellow metalflake..
                    Nope, that's the red.... the Macho Maroon would fade to dull purple (and had no metallic in it, rather a pearl toner), the Magenta would go to a brown... Actually, the red is easier to duplicate; getting the pearl right in the mix for the maroon seems to be a tough thing to get right. Your graphics match for the red color too...

There's only a handful of other differences between the '79 and '78 bikes besides the color; the 'emergency kickstarter' is chromed on the '78, zinc plated on the '79, you should have the halogen headlight (the '78 had a sealed beam), and being a late-in-the-year build (from the date), you should have the 'tubeless' rims and be lacking the 'lights-on-off' switch on the right handlebar control. The timing, mechanical and vacuum advance curves are different also.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Welcome CafeDallas

Nice Beemer, Even nicer Eleven
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Congratulations on what looks to be a sweet find!

and welcome aboard!
                        Always nice to have another TeXSive on board.

If you're interested, the ground work for the Meeting of Minds 2012 is being laid now. It's a Texas XS rally being held in Austin this year.
                        Here's the link to the South Central rallies section with the post:

M.o.M. 2012
                        81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

I would have to disagree, that IS the stock oem '79 fairing made by vetter. Pacifico fairing were only on '78 and maybe a handful of early '79s before the factory burnt up.

Very nice looking bike, Welcome!
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                            Congratulations on what looks to be a sweet find!

and welcome aboard!
                            Always nice to have another TeXSive on board.

If you're interested, the ground work for the Meeting of Minds 2012 is being laid now. It's a Texas XS rally being held in Austin this year.
                            Here's the link to the South Central rallies section with the post:

M.o.M. 2012
                            I always make it down to the hill country 2 or 3 times a year to ride and camp. Definitely intend to make it on this 11 this year. I'll keep an eye out when this meeting of the minds occurs. Thanks.
                            1979 Yamaha XS11f
                            1979 Yamaha XS750f
                            1988 BMW K100rs
                            1978 Kaw Kz750b3 twin

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              Nope, that's the red.... the Macho Maroon would fade to dull purple (and had no metallic in it, rather a pearl toner), the Magenta would go to a brown... Actually, the red is easier to duplicate; getting the pearl right in the mix for the maroon seems to be a tough thing to get right. Your graphics match for the red color too...

There's only a handful of other differences between the '79 and '78 bikes besides the color; the 'emergency kickstarter' is chromed on the '78, zinc plated on the '79, you should have the halogen headlight (the '78 had a sealed beam), and being a late-in-the-year build (from the date), you should have the 'tubeless' rims and be lacking the 'lights-on-off' switch on the right handlebar control. The timing, mechanical and vacuum advance curves are different also.
                              I stand corrected. Thanks for the color info. I would have never guessed this was originally magenta red but "dull purple" is an apt description of the color now, The shine is so nice I woundn't have thought any fading occurred.

I have had many bikes and never knew of or seen an "emergency kickstarter". I stumbled on this one while tearing down the bike. Brilliant!
                              And, yes, it is zinc not chrome.
                              1979 Yamaha XS11f
                              1979 Yamaha XS750f
                              1988 BMW K100rs
                              1978 Kaw Kz750b3 twin

Comment

Working...
                              X