Mothball instead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothball instead

Just for interest's sake I was looking through the XS/XJ bikes for sale forum and found some ads that generally said " must sell my beloved bike, need the cash for - - - "
    OK, I really do understand being strapped for cash (BTDT, sold my BMW to pay my daughter's school fees and then the lil' darlin' dropped out. 25 years ago and the scars are still there.) but consider this:-
    What will $1,000 or even $1,500 buy you these days? Not effin' much!
    If you are running short, the ongoing costs of operating a bike are where the savings lie. Insurance, taxes, fuel, tires, etc. eat away at your billfold on a continuing basis.
    Instead of selling your precious toy, mothball it for 5 years or so. At that time you will have 5 years worth of running expenses added to the household budget and will be in a better position to consider if you should sell or not plus your bike's value may well have appreciated as your 30 year old junker morphs into a 35 year old antique vehicle.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Excellent Point

Fred. I'm still trying to pick up some of these bargains. COOL IT!
    Your point is well taken. Just store it a while.
    Economy will improve, bike values will rise. They're not making more of these gems.

Harley Davidson stock is up about 15-20% past few weeks. What's that mean? Can only be good.

Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
    X