Nubie XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nubie XJ1100

I am a Nubie to the site and have used it over the past 3 weeks. I wanted to thank all the members who have contribuited to this site and the vast valued information you share. I personally want to share my thanks for already helping me get my recent XJ1100 barn find further along than I ever thought in the last three weeks I could not begin to tell you the valued information I have learned already Today my second carb clean I am close
    Cleaned out 5 mice nests including exhaust (shop vac to a 1/2 pipe) carb clean ( bowels need further work starter jets not getting fuel) master cyl rebuild and brakes all redone battery It runs it looks great I need to get fuel delivery to the starter jets right today. I hope to tackle the valve clearences soon a little chatter but I am scared to death to take that one on otherwise I am ready to ride the heck out of it on the east coast Thanks to ALL!! The old eastcoaster
    82 XJ1100J
    81 Venturer
    Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Welcome aboard!

2nd carb cleaning? One more and that should do it.

Best of luck getting her going!

and pics are ALWAYS welcome
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Welcome

Starter circuit
      The bowls have a passage with a very small jet at the bottom. If carb cleaner is sprayed in there and doesn't flow freely then you may have to pass a small wire in there and move it around a bit to clear the jet. I use steel lake trout line but many others use a #6 guitar string. Once you get it open a bit, more compressed air and carb cleaner will clean it right out. Wear eye protection as the carb cleaner will burn badly.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

Valve Chatter

Check the clearances but note that these bikes are usually fairly noisy when the clearances are with in spec. When they get quiet is when you know it's time to adjust shims.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Thanks

Hi Mac
          I just did exactly what you suggested they were clogged soild now I am getting flow I am going to install shortly and see If I can fire up this baby up on its own Thanks for the help I did replace pilots mains and pilots set the floats and cleaned the air jets runs great with help to start but about blew myself up with a gas spray to the carbs so we will see I missed this one the first round still a lot to learn thanks Is there anything else before I mash my knuckels up? Coaster
          82 XJ1100J
          81 Venturer

Comment

Its done!!!!

Its done it works it runs I am going riding!!! Oh one small oil drip at the cam adjuster any big deal to replace the gasket? but thats not stopping me for now The coaster
            82 XJ1100J
            81 Venturer

Comment

[QUOTE=Eastcoaster;35473 Oh one small oil drip at the cam adjuster any big deal to replace the gasket?[/QUOTE]

Can be, if not done correctly.........can ruin your day and ride.....semi-permanently.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
                Its done it works it runs I am going riding!!! Oh one small oil drip at the cam adjuster any big deal to replace the gasket? but thats not stopping me for now The coaster
                Hi Gordon & welcome,
                as the bike is a barn find you'd best have checked the brakes, suspension and tires before you ride it, eh?
                Changing the CCT gasket is easy enough but taking the thing off to do so has to be done right. Use the "search" function to find "cam chain adjustment" to see where to set the timing marks before removing the CCT.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

thanks fredintoon

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi Gordon & welcome,
                  as the bike is a barn find you'd best have checked the brakes, suspension and tires before you ride it, eh?
                  Changing the CCT gasket is easy enough but taking the thing off to do so has to be done right. Use the "search" function to find "cam chain adjustment" to see where to set the timing marks before removing the CCT.
                  Thanks fredintoon Yup I have been working on this for the past 3 weeks rebuilt all the brakesand both master cylinders tires look OK no weathering but I will change. I did changed all fluids fork seals look good plugs Very low milage bike looks like it was well maintained prior last run 10 years ago I do want to change the fuse box one of the tabs snapped got it wired for now I just wanted a quick trial run to run through the gears feels really good on the road Tires next I want to get into the valves soon but have a lot of reading to do on it right here on the site Its a beauty I will put up some pix soon
                  Thank you for the welcome
                  82 XJ1100J
                  81 Venturer

Comment

Gear Oil

Make sure you change the middle and final drive gear oil. Did you put new tires on? Is this your first 1100, if so take it easy on the throttle till you get use to it, otherwise you might be pulling the front wheel off the ground.
                    Thanks Tom
                    82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                    78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                    79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                    79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                    80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
                    82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
                      could be the plug @ the end of the adjuster... that seems to be a place they like to leak. Thats where mine was leaking. Capped it with some ultra black RTV no more leak.
                      Don
                      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                      X