Opinions Requested please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Requested please

Im moving shortly. Two bikes on trailer but one is going in the uhaul. Not sure of tie down locations or strength. So I am trying to freestand bike in truck plus use whatever tiedowns are availiable. Will probably tie down handlebars to frame to compress forks a bit.

So you think it will get there in one piece? Wood is not screwed together yet, have to assemble in truck.

Thanks

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

I noticed a couple things when hauling bikes, especially when there on the side stand, your ratchets need to tighten on the same side as the kick stand, and no matter how tight you ratchet them, there is still some travel left in the suspension, and with a hard enough turn it can roll back over to the other side and fall over, so as a precaution, I've always had a third strap grab the frame on the kick stand side and back through to the same side instead of passing across to the other side, this keeps it anchored, never had one tip when setup like this, even with an emergency maneuver. Safe trip!

edit, sorry, didn't notice pics, probably a pretty safe way to haul it, crated, are you completely enclosing it? Still have to anchor the crate really well as it will be top heavy as its more tall than narrow, or if you have room, make a couple runners in your design from left to right making it harder to tip.
    Last edited by old_skool; 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM.
    81 XS1100H

Comment

Try getting a "
      "Canyon Dancer" bar harness works great for sport bikes as it has a counter-pull design that balances the pulling...
      http://www.canyondancer.com/
      Current Rides:
      02 GL1800 Wing
      79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
      81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

I added diagonals to the front wheel brace. Im trying to freestand it it the truck. No crate. I went minimalistic few years ago, all I have is heavy and will sit on the bed. No stacking around it.

I have motorcycle specific tiedowns but may get a set of those canyon dancers for the KLR. The XS is old school so easy to tie down. I will take steps to keep the frame from sliding around.
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

The canyon-dancers work great getting pull point beyond the tupperware that's needed. Having tupperware and cannot use bars for pull point, using the lower portion of triple clamp on each side gives a place to pull down on front suspension a bit. At rear, go off of swingarm each side to keep rear stationary from sliding sideways. That's an easy scoot to tie down........try a tupperware wrapped Honda ST for some REAL forethought in order to stabilize and keep upright. Being that bike and the XS's are fairly open on the sides make it easy to lasso down.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I moved two, Xs11's (one a full dress bagger) in a Penske, 26ft truck when I moved to Texass. I loaded them last. I drove 12 (6 per bike), big arse, ringed lag bolts right into the wood floor of the truck. I set the bikes on the center stands and strapped the hell out of both of them. Three rachet straps per side. They survived the 700 mile trip with nary a strap coming loose. This was even after some rather hellacious manuvering of the truck to avoid an accident and travel down some rather bumpy roads not to mention some railroad crossings that would qualify as motocross moguls. I was sure each time I checked, one or both of them would be in a heap but they both rode fine and none of the lag bolts pulled out. Before I returned the truck, I filled the holes with some sawdust and elemers glue, They (Penske) never noticed.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Hi elevener,
              best way I know of to carry a bike in the back of a pickup is shove it in kittycorner.
              Set the bike on it's sidestand with the front wheel jammed into one front corner and the back wheel against the far side of the box. Lash the bike down with mebbe twice the number of straps you'd think may be needed. Lash from above the suspension so the springs are compressed. Kick the sidestand up when the straps are in place but before they are tightened so it don't interfere with the bike's journey being cushioned by it's own suspension.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X