Re: Riding lawnmower batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Riding lawnmower batteries

I`am having a brain storm or worse.This is what is going on in a effort to save money,use what you got.My bike has a dead battery.I also have a riding lawnmower with a blown motor but a good battery.I have the airbox off the bike,was doing carb.work at the time.Couldn`t a person with mods. to the air box use a riding lawnmower battery in a xs?The battery I`m talking about is a interstate for a Murray 12.5 hp mower.200+ cca so it should have no trouble starting the bike.What do you folks think?I will check the above out when it warms up,know that will have to shift some things around but am almost certain. Look at it this way $20 vs $50+
    Bill Harvell

I think you can buy the correct size at Sam's club for around $35 but the lawn mower battery should work. I think the battery in my Murray has different connections on it.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Originally posted by nashville_bill
      I think you can buy the correct size at Sam's club for around $35 but the lawn mower battery should work. I think the battery in my Murray has different connections on it.
      I priced a battery for the bike at Wal-mart{Sam`s club not close and don`t have a card}the price$45 plus tax.Going that way would be better if can afford it.The connections if different can use the hot and ground wires off the lawnmower,same size as bike.To cold to do anything outside now. Thanks and try to stay warm.
      Bill Harvell

Comment

This might seem kind of crazy and I know that most people wouldn't have access to this but I found batteries in a very strange place. I am a x-ray service engineer and the portable machines they use for ER's and people confined to beds contain batteries for stand alone power. Eventually one will go bad (10 total) and the rest are mine for the keeping. They fit very nice in the XS. And you cant beat the price. But to answer your question. If the battery fits and you can make the connections proper there really shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't work.

David Kenkel

Comment

I use a sealed gel-cell alarm back up battery for my XS. I have to lay on the starter for about 10 minutes before there's no longer enough juice to turn her over. You can get them pretty cheap. If you go that way, get one rated at least 12 amp/hour. That'll have enough power for the bike.
          Tony K.
          TonimusMaximus
          Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
          New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Just so I don't have to do the research, what brand and model number did you use? Were the terminals compatible without a lot of work?
            Bill Murrin
            Nashville, TN
            1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
            1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
            2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
            2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
            1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
            2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
            X