Pipa, sopa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipa, sopa

So I go to Craigslist and I get a must read screen about PIPA and SOPA. Anyone know what this is about in a short version to save me the years and eye strength of trying to figure out the legaleze of our governmental regulations they want to pass?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

This is a couple of anti-piracy bills that will totally f**k up the 'net...

Long story short, if a site like CL, YouTube or even eBay has any postings/listings with suspected pirated content, the content owner can have the site effectively shut down. That would force any 'open' site to check every listing, which will put them out of business. The key thing is the content owner could force the shutdown with no legal action, and the site has to prove they didn't know. The really bad part is this would affect any site that's tied to this; a poster here could post a link to a YouTube video with possible pirated content for example, and .com could be shut down. Presumed guilty until proven innocent....
    Last edited by crazy steve; 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Depends on who you ask. Music/video production companies and their lobbyists say the bills are to stop online piracy by allowing the government to force ISPs to block any website that distributes copyrighted material. SOPA is the House of Reps version and PIPA is the one introduced into the senate.

Everyone else sees them as an open door to government-controlled internet censorship.

Lots of major webistes (wikipedia and Google for example,) along with millions of Americans (including myself,) are adamantly against these bills and today has been a nationwide protest rally. Lots of people talking and posting about it...."censoring" their profiles by setting a black square as their default pic...etc. Take a look at Google.com for a prime example, and click the logo for more detailed info.

Congress is supposed to be voting on these two bills in the next couple of weeks. Might wanna call and talk to your representatives about it.
      My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Yeah,
        whenever anyone says,
        "It's not about money, it's about principle."
        It's about money.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Politics

Whenever it involves politicians, it's about money.
          Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
          stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ ██. ███ ███
            [This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been
            removed.]
            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
            and SOXS
            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I get emails from my Representatives and Senators offices all the time. I've decided that if they pass either of them, first thing I am going to do is file their emails as violations.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
              X