Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini signals for 1979 xs1100 special

Hi Guys,

I bought a pair of mini signals on ebay but the shafts were too wide to fit throught the headlight mount in the stock location so I returned them. Do any of you guys have mini-signals on your bikes? Mine is a 1979 special. Could you recommend any and where to get them? I don't want led ones.

Hey Tony,

You might ask LoneRider, see his recent thread to get his ID to send a PM,

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34848

And see this photo of his special/headlight, those look like bulbs, not LEDS?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Tony,
      PM sent

Thanks
      Jamie

Comment

TC, that was a whole headlight/turnsignal kit.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I put mini signals on my bike; all I did was drill new holes in the headlight ears and put a nice clean bolt in the original headlight holes. I assume you aren't too worried about remaining stock, so it may be an option.

Here are some pics, if you would like some better ones just let me know.

1979 XS1100 SF - My first project

Comment

Another option for you

If you want an easy way to change the look of your machine you can modify the stock signals by changing to a clear lense and an amber bulb. That alone will be a significant changer. Then you can shorten the stalk of the OEM units and that will bring them in closer.

Here is a pic.

Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Well,

After posting about it, it doesn't mean that I actually approve of these little lights especially so close to the headlight! I work with "OLD" people performing eye examinations and I can tell you that many folks out there are driving with much less than 20/20...! 20/40 is all you need for nighttime, and 20/70 is all you need for daytime...and both are with only 1 eye, they don't even have to have the other eye!

SO....both the small lights, and their close proximity to the glaring headlight can make them rather difficult to see. I saw a crotch rocket with some very small ones built in with his tail light and just a few inches apart, and I had a hard time seeing them as well as telling which direction he was signaling towards! And I have 20/15 vision!!!!

If you haven't read my tech tip about why we bikers are invisible in the MISC forum, you might want to take a look, can be a real eye opener!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC,

I totally understand your point about the visibility problems with the smaller turn signals. If I am in a situation where a driver must know where I am going I always hand signal as well. Ultimately, I try and position myself in traffic in a way that my presence could not have any affect on their driving.
                1979 XS1100 SF - My first project

Comment

One thing to be careful of with any non-LED 'mini' turn signal is most of them use 'special' lamps (not something you can get anywhere). If they offer replacement lamps at the time of sale, that's usually a dead-giveaway. You can find 'standard' lamps that will fit and look the same, but they won't have the same light output. The furnished lamps in these usually burn out rather quickly, as the bulb envelope is too small to properly dissipate heat. Installing a standard-sized lamp like a 1157 or 1156 will melt the lens.... BT,DT
                  Last edited by crazy steve; 12-08-2011, 12:38 PM.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by paulapalooza View Post
                    TC,

I totally understand your point about the visibility problems with the smaller turn signals. If I am in a situation where a driver must know where I am going I always hand signal as well. Ultimately, I try and position myself in traffic in a way that my presence could not have any affect on their driving.
                    As to the hand signals.....they are useless nearly all the time. The majority of the driving world has no clue as to what they mean. All they see (if they see them at all) is some person waving their hand around.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      As to the hand signals.....they are useless nearly all the time. The majority of the driving world has no clue as to what they mean. All they see (if they see them at all) is some person waving their hand around.
                      Yep, gotta agree with that. Turn signals have been standard equipment on US cars for what, almost 60 years now? Even on bikes they've been required at least since the early 70s, so there's darn few people who know what you're 'signaling' anymore....
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I kinda like the stock look, its part of the retro look along with the safety issue, but I understand the need to personalize also, I think the close proximity signals makes it look like it belongs on a newer crotch rocket style bike. Now the clear with the amber bulb is a thought. As far as people not seeing you, I don't care if you have a fluorescent chicken on your head, they still won't see you, ex; I use to drive a 75' RED semi car hauler, and people would pull out in front of me, and when stopped by the cops, you know what the number one answer was....I didn't see him!
                        81 XS1100H

Comment

Thanks for the options and thoughts. I think I will stick with my original lollipop signals as they fit the look of the bike.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DuC...layer_embedded
                            81 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
                            X