Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

having auto probs, your opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having auto probs, your opinions please.

auto: 1996 saturn sl2 1.9l.
    probs: over the last few weeks when i start the car in the morn it sputters and idles hard. spits black smoke. then it will idle normally [if it starts] and will be fine as long as it is warm.
    i figured possibly bad plug wire(s). remove plug wires and sure enough find a broken one. i figure problem solved.
    car sits for a day unused.
    go to use it for work mon morn and the same old prob exists, but i get it going and take it to work only to have the same prob at end of the day.
    get the car home, remove sparks plugs. they look good (they were actually replaced in june) with the exception of one cylinder. the electrode part of the plug (where it sparks) was o.k. but the rest of the threads were covered in oil.
    as best as i can see into the cylinder, it looks like there is oil laying on top of the piston.
    again, as long as the car is warm there is no prob, when cold there is a prob.
    so...what do you all think??
    redbone
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Being fuel injected, i would look at the cold start valve, or whatever the Saturn uses for it's cold start feature. It works as a choke sort of.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Hmmmm,

Oil on the plug end and piston, sounds like you might have a leaky valve seal, engine compression, heat, etc., doesn't allow much to leak down into the cylinder once it's running...probably an exhaust valve....hard to start due to excessive oil in cylinder. Once you turn off the engine, oil in head drips down around valve past seal and into cylinder.

Or could be a head gasket weakening, and you're getting some oil leakage from the oil channels getting into the cylinder.

You could try some of that engine seal conditioner additive to see if it might help the valve seal, easy and not too expensive to try before possibly tearing into the engine!? JAT!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by redbone View Post
        auto: 1996 saturn sl2 1.9l.
        probs: over the last few weeks when i start the car in the morn it sputters and idles hard. spits black smoke. then it will idle normally [if it starts] and will be fine as long as it is warm.
        i figured possibly bad plug wire(s). remove plug wires and sure enough find a broken one. i figure problem solved.
        car sits for a day unused.
        go to use it for work mon morn and the same old prob exists, but i get it going and take it to work only to have the same prob at end of the day.
        get the car home, remove sparks plugs. they look good (they were actually replaced in june) with the exception of one cylinder. the electrode part of the plug (where it sparks) was o.k. but the rest of the threads were covered in oil.
        as best as i can see into the cylinder, it looks like there is oil laying on top of the piston.
        again, as long as the car is warm there is no prob, when cold there is a prob.
        so...what do you all think??
        redbone
        There will be a intake air temperature sensor either in the air intake hose or in the manifold. Also a coolant temperature sensor in the engine itself. These tell the PCM the engine temp and intake air temp, obviously, so it knows how much fuel to feed the engine according to running conditions. A colder engine will need more fuel and if the sensor is reading inaccuatly it might be thinking it's at operating temp when it's actually cold.

The only way to actually tell is with a scan tool.

Is the check engine light on?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Just asking, but are you sure its oil and not excess fuel? The runnign like crap cold and then not when warm would tend to say it is fuel / enrichment / choke related. It would be very unusual for only one cylinder to have that bad fo valve seals and the others show no sign of it. Could also be a weak coil, do not know the saturns that well, but do they have individual coils for each cylinder?
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

If you go to Autozone, they'll hook up the code scanner for free and diagnose.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Just asking, but are you sure its oil and not excess fuel?
              Originally posted by redbone View Post
              when i start the car in the morn it sputters and idles hard. spits black smoke. then it will idle normally [if it starts] and will be fine as long as it is warm.
              The black smoke indicates too much fuel. That means I was probably backards on my guess too. I have run into a few that the temp sensor, either coolant or intake air, showed -50º and was dumping the fuel to the engine.

I've seen a bad O2 sensor do the same thing.

One way to tell is unplug the sensor and that will force the PCM into limp home mode and default to a preset median parameter. In other words, if that component is causing the problem it will smooth out.

As I said, the only good way to tell is with a scan tool.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

sparkplug

If I had run for a while with a broken plug wire, then found that the plug there was dirty or fouled, I would clean or replace it. Broken plug wire could lead to dirty plug. plugs are cheap enough, or cleaning & regapping may due it to.

Free code reader may tell you MORE

Good luck wrenching
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

thanks all, here's an update.
                  some folks from the saturn forum gave me the heads up and a couple of you guys were on the rite track.

evidently the coolant temp sense is most likely the prob. it thinks the engine is warm all the time.
                  the other prob is most likely just the valve cover gasket. oil is leaking into the spark plug cavity (they're those real deep ones) and when i pulled that plug, all the oil that was laying in the cavity poured onto the plug threads and rite into the cylinder. i had forgotten that the oil was on the socket as well.
                  now all i need is a saturday to fix it.
                  thanks to all.
                  testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Have been a past member on the Saturn forum, some good info there. I had a similar problem on my '91, was also the coolant sensor. Not a hard fix, but seem to recall there were 2 versions or sensor, and you want to get the later one. (Probably all the early ones are gone by now, its been a few years!)
                    You neeed a deep dish socket (14mm?) and don't have to drain the coolant to change, but it will leak a small bit when you remove the old unit.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      If you go to Autozone, they'll hook up the code scanner for free and diagnose.
                      Depends on where you are. Here in Ca they have made it against the law for them to do that because the repair shops all complained that it was taking away their business.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

update to all:
                        the guys on the saturn forum were dead on. it was the coolant temp sensor.
                        changed that, and no more probs. amazing how that little sensor can cause headaches.
                        thnaks again to all who responded,
                        redbone
                        testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Working...
                        X