Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zinc Chromate primer - anyone know about this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zinc Chromate primer - anyone know about this stuff?

Hi guys, I do know that zinc chromate primer is used for aluminum - here's my question. I'm making a custom exhaust for a Suzuki Savage. I ordered "aluminumized" steel tubing which means it's coated in aluminum. Should I just use the high temp paint directly on it or use the zinc chromate primer first. I'd like to use the primer becuase I know aluminum doesn't take paint well, but I also don't know if zinc chromate primer can take the heat. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

aluminum oxide primer would be a better option for adhering to alloy but I don't know if it will take the heat. I have not used the stuff in years.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I've used zinc chromate extensively on outboard motors, but have no experience with it on high temp applications. It works great in the marine environment.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

The new Zinc chromate primer is not the same as the REAL old time ZC. The old stuff was a butyrate dope base, which made it fuel proof. The new stuff will have the binder/carrier base listed on the label, but unless it states it is for hi temp application, it will probably degrade with heat, and I would avoid it. If you have a rattle can of it, try it on a piece of pipe, and apply a propane torch to it to see what happens.
        Jasco makes a metal prep that has phosphoric acid in it, and that, applied to the pipes, rinsed off after a few minutes, then dried, would prep the metal for a coating of Hi Temp paint. Read the label, and use the instructions for new aluminum or steel metal.
        Or, you could do what us po-boys do, and coat the pipes with oil, and heat them up. Turns 'em black or brown. CZ

Comment

Thank you for that info.
          '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Working...
          X