A Sunday ride in the Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sunday ride in the Rockies

The last few weekends here in Colorado have had bad weather; rain, snow, morning temperatures below freezing. However, yesterday afternoon it cleared up a bit and I rolled out the bike to take a Sunday ride.

I had no place in paricular to go, so started up one of my favorite roads, the DeBeque Cut-off, aka 45 1/2 road, as it it locally known. Planned to head to a small town called Mesa.

Befor I got to Mesa I passed a turn-off to another town, Colbran. Hmmm...haven't been there in a while. Shucks, its only 11 miles, and the temperature had risen to 51 deg F. Off I went.

Once in Colbran I noticed a paved side road I had not been on before. What the heck...lets go.

Colbran sits in a valley, but it didn't take long to get higher up on the ridge south of town. I expected to run into dirt roads shortly, but was surprised to find a web of paved roads (and a few miles of hard-packed dirt) that took off east, west, and north up into the Grand Mesa area.

Fianally it was getting late, and I had told SWMBO that I would be home before dark, which is at around 5:00 PM these days. I found a road heading west out of a small town named Molina, and found myself coming into the town of Mesa, my original destination. From there I headed home.

I had fun, put on only about 85 miles, but discovered some roads and areas I had not been in before. It felt good to be back on the bike and getting some road time.

Nothing quite like a Sunday ride in the Rockies even though its November.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Sounds fun

HI Jerry, sounds like a nice ride in Mountain Paradise. Just wondering if your xj is up and running? Its had a lot of miles and memories. Anyway, hope all is well and see at one of the rallies. I am sitting here on vacation on the North Shore of Oahu, surfing every day, so all is well in the West............Ride On,,,,Mike in San Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Enjoy the vacation Mike!.....................all that's needed is 1101cc and wheels mounted on that board! Maybe see ya this next yr.! Keep the wet-side down.......
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
      X