trying to kick the habit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to kick the habit!

So my contract with the verizonater is up in Dec and I don't want to pay for data. Really I just need a basic cell. I would like to have a camera on it and email if possible but that's it. Do I have to have a "smart " phone to receive emails ?
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Hey Garth,

I have a DUMB phone, a simple Tracfone, just a phone, no camera, no "NET", just simple text.

I think with most plans that Email is considered part of a Data type service, NET service, whether it's using the "NET", or just emails and photos and such. But I could be wrong since I don't use a SMART phone, SWMBO has one of those, but then she's smarter than I am anyways!!

I read my emails on my smart 'puter at home or at work, and I use my camera for a camera. My phone costs me ~$10.00 month, I don't talk on it much, get 365 days service and 400 minutes that doubles to 800 minutes with the year service card for $100.00. I've got ~100 days service left and still well over 1000 minutes..they carried over from my last years contract! I don't talk on it much as you can tell from this description, but it's CHEAP for me just to have an emergency phone. If you need to talk a lot then this type gets $$ quickly for all of the minutes you would have to buy!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Smartphone WITHOUT data

Just use your smartphone without a data plan.

Texting will be easier with keyboard whether virtual or physical.

With wifi, you can still do email when you hook up at $tarbux to upload pics of your bike.

Nobody says you HAVE to run an iPhone on a data plan if its an older one and paid for.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
        Nobody says you HAVE to run an iPhone on a data plan if its an older one and paid for.

John
        Actually I think you do, could be wrong. I know some have tried to do this but then their phone didn't work at all.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep. If you have a smart phone, the phone companies will force you to purchase a data plan. You CAN get them to drop the data plan, but the first time you receive a picture message, the data plan will get turned back on automatically. A coworker of mine just went through this for her elderly mother who only needs a regular calling plan, but didn't want to have to buy a new "dumb" phone.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Many dumb phones will let you add email for a monthly fee, at least on Verizon. Haven't tried it, but I have seen the option while playing with my phone.
            1981 XS 11 special
            red
            40,000 miles

Comment

The data plans for "dumb" phones are cheaper, but most of them don't do email. Many if not most do have cameras though. Some of the "feature" phones though do email and net with much cheaper data (like $15/month vs $39/month+ for smartphone) and most all have ok, cameras in them. It all depends on what you want. Personally I use my smartphone a LOT, and while I'm not at HEAVY data user, I'm not particularly a light one either (low middle probably) and I use a LOT of the functionality, so it's a good fit for me, but NOT for everybody.

I LIKE having a full fledged computer in my pocket. I can play video games when bored, log onto my favorite web site, I do ALL my email on it etc. But it's not for everyone. It's also become my primary camera, as it's ALMOST as good as my dedicated one (I know, not really as good, but the special effects it can do because of the software available are pretty awesome) and for most stuff I can't really tell the difference.

But basically, if you want email, you are going to need a data plan no matter what carrier you go with.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

maybe Verizon and Att

But the smaller companies won't do that - I know folks who use an iPhone on a T-mobile prepaid without a data plan - you can turn the phones data reception off in the menu.

I'd try it - or just get a flip phone and use an iPod touch wifi for email.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  Personally I use my smartphone a LOT, and while I'm not at HEAVY data user, I'm not particularly a light one either (low middle probably) and I use a LOT of the functionality, so it's a good fit for me, but NOT for everybody.
                  I was looking at my bill the other day and was comparing my wife's data usage, about 300,000kb, to my data usage...... about 6,500,000kb. I play on the internet alot.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                  X