Got the winter No Riding Blues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the winter No Riding Blues?

I don't get as afflicted with snow and ice and other general unpleasentness as some of you guys, but don't fret...for once I am not going to tease you about our mostly balmy temperatures and gorgeous riding weather (it's 66 degrees out there now, I just washed The Dragon, and I'm going for a ride!)

Anyway. Some recommended reading to pass the time.

Standard disclaimers, not my book, no interest, nothing to gain, YMMV, 4 out of 5 blind, left-handed dentists from Toledo, and all that...

I read Gathering Speed - Tales of Motorcycles and Life by David Braun over the weekend. I enjoyed it. Check it out at the link below.

Gathering Speed
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Re: Got the winter No Riding Blues?

Dragonrider wrote:
    I don't get as afflicted with snow and ice and other general unpleasentness as some of you guys, but don't fret...for once I am not going to tease you about our mostly balmy temperatures and gorgeous riding weather (it's 66 degrees out there now, I just washed The Dragon, and I'm going for a ride!)
    Can't tease me... I took a ride yesterday on dry roads, temp in the hi 30's! Might go again this evening... it's over 40 degrees and DRY!

Of course, after that the weather's turning to rain-sleet-snow, then more snow. Gotta take the breaks when they come.

XSively,
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Went for a cruise yesterday, bright sunshine, dry roads, 35 degrees (brrrr). Seemed pretty nice out til I got up to speed. 35deg x 70mph = COLD! Sneaky little ice patches in some of the curves too, Yikes!
      Anybody have any links to wind-chill tables? I wonder just how cold I was, I got stiff enough to have trouble operating my controls... must be getting old
      buffalo
      80 XS1100SG

Comment

60 +

Couldn't let that old harley get over on us so had to go for a spin. Got into the low 60s, which is really nice for this far north in VA in December. I sure hope the weather holds.

deo
        82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
        Riding with the Son

Comment

I could briefly relate to the winter no riding blues. I had to leave San Diego to go to Ottawa, Canada for a weeks worth of training the week before Christmas. That place defines the word cold! Had to scrape the windows of the rental car every morining and evening and never saw a single motorcycle. Several people in the class have bikes. We had fun discussions but it left me wanting to go for a ride right then and there.

So, after being gone for a total of 7 days what do you think was the first thing I did when I got home from the airport.

1-Greeted the wife, kids, dog, bird.
          2-Went into the garage, fired up the bike and took if for a 10 minuted ride?

Well....I got back home sneaked the bike back into the garage and they were never the wiser. Don't get me wrong, I missed everybody, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Comment

wind chill table
            http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml
            Marty in NW PA
            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

Hey Batman

Welcome to our winter wonderland ,our bikes are put away to hibernate, in hopes that the summer sun wont be late!We washed them and polished them the put them to bed,with dreams of still riding them dancing in our head!When all af a sudden we heard a great roar,it was old man winter starting to snore!We charged our batterys and sat down to wait, wishing that summer surely wont come late!This is a cold story and we a very sad, but when the summer sun comes we will surely be glad!We will untarp our bikes and take them for a ride, in hopes that old man winter will continue to hide!!!!!!! Happy new year my fellow Canadians and my American friends................MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

UK

Sorry i forgot u guys in the UK!!! The above thread just shows you how boreing our Canadian winters are lol ................MITCH
                Doug Mitchell
                82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Winter riding...

In Dallas on 01-02-04. It's was 9:30 in the evening, still 71 degrees. Wife (on her own scoot) and I were cruising hwy 183 when we saw this big electronic weather center sponsered by a local tv station (NBC 5) gave us the info. Such a great night for a ride. Too bad we had to get the babysitter off the clock, we would had never come home. Tonight, heading for the liquor store for some in home entertainment. Enjoy,Y'all

Comment

Ya know its winter in WI when...

I was putzin around the garage last night...(after waiting for the heater to do its thing...) Had a couple cold ones and was contemplating doing some polishing of some crappy looking aluminum on Maime....radio cranked and left to my own devices I sat on the bike ..Yea I had to start it and hear it run.....
                    Pretty soon I was somewhere else....hard into some twistys...and all the sudden FLASH!!
                    Next thing I see is SWMBO bent over holding herself from bustin a gut with the camera in her hand.....
                    I can just imagine her standing outside the door watching me thru the window...LOL
                    I am bett in im the only one
                    '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

LMAO

I did the same thing yesterday only i never got caught lol. Bike sounded sum good . Itll soon be summer,itll soon be summer, itll soon be summer............................................ ............................MITCH
                      Doug Mitchell
                      82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Blues?

65 to 70 degress the past three days, 200+ miles, to and from work. No riding blues? Don't think so....Check with me again in Feb!
                        '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

The snows are finally headed for Nova Scotia but only 10cms or so but it is below freezing so the only riding will be inside the "Vinyl Chalet"......

Hey, watched the movie Mad Max the other night, some body had mentioned there was an XS11 in it, all I saw were KZ 1000s.......maybe I missed some thing.
                          Bruce
                          xs1100 Alpha
                          xs1100 Special
                          Bruce Doucette
                          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
                          X