Jealous Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jealous Van

So, I have a 1987 ford e150 that is my only cager (not counting the wife's minivan) at the moment. I spent all summer and early fall riding my XS, which I bought in June. Now that I am spending more time in the van, she is misbehaving. She stranded me at a stop light for an hour the other day, only to start right up when the tow truck showed (I spent 20 minutes trying to start it, the cop that was sitting with me laughed so hard he couldn't speak)
    She likes to stall in reverse (sometimes low speeds forward too) (automatic) and seems to have nothing wrong. I was speaking with the PO, who says of course this is happening. She said, here you are, dating a fat chick (van) and you bring that sexy little motorcycle into your life. You neglect her all summer, and now that it is cold, that interloping motorcycle is sitting in a nice warm garage, while the poor van sits out in the cold, of course shes going to strand you in the cold!
    So, how do I convince tha van that I still love her? This was never a monogomous relationship, I had a car when I bought her that she didn't mind. But she really seems to have an issue with the Yamaha. I love them both, and really want them to get along, can anyone help?
    1981 XS 11 special
    red
    40,000 miles

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Or possibly the fuel pump.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Or possibly the fuel pump.
      I suspect a problem with the fuel pump sending unit, as the gas guage hasn't worked in about 5 years. I just haven't been willing to pull the tank.
      1981 XS 11 special
      red
      40,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Hmar View Post
        I suspect a problem with the fuel pump sending unit, as the gas guage hasn't worked in about 5 years. I just haven't been willing to pull the tank.
        Well, yeah, the engine will stall when you run out of gas! but the sending unit all by itself shouldn't make the engine stop running.

If the van's been sitting and started to misbehave when the cold weather showed up and you started driving it, check for water in the fuel. The gas might have gone bad from sitting and the alcohol and water separated out, messing up the fuel system.

BTW, does it have a carburetor or is it fuel injected?
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Fuel injected. The I keep pretty careful track of my fuel purchases to avoid running out of gas, but I hadn't thought of water. I'll throw some dry gas in and see if that helps.
          Thanks
          1981 XS 11 special
          red
          40,000 miles

Comment

Working...
          X