No announcement yet.

Any Audiophiles out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC, I'd been using EasyCDCreator to clean and/or edit my 'burns', but the version was too old and wouldn't transfer to Windows 7 when I replaced my 'puter. It worked extremely well, having several methods of 'cleaning' noisy recordings. I also didn't like using the computer analog inputs, as their sound quality just wasn't up to my standards (I can easily tell the difference in a A/B test). The D/A convertors in computers pretty much suck....

Instead, I use a TASCAM pro CDRW deck as a component (the pro recorders don't have that damn SCMS that they foisted on the 'consumer' decks), do a 'rough burn' at the stereo with a CDRW disc, then clean/edit it in digital-only at the computer. This also allows me to easily switch sources (records, reel tapes, or DAT) when recording. For me, it's much less clumsy. Erase the TOC, and the CDRW is ready to record over again.

I've looked at the various free burner programs, but I haven't seen one with all the features I want, so I just need to spring for the 'upgrade' from the version I have. It'll be a reduced cost because I have a legit copy, just need to buy it....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Recording

Yep thats about what I do as well TC. Expand the view, highlite the tick and then I use the remove click feature so it only filters the highlited area. Keeps the overall sound crisp. I looked last night and I have 7700 files done so far. Each file is an LP or CD. It's a lot of work though. Still have a bunch to go but once done it's soooo convenient. I prefer XP as well. I don't know what all the whoopla is about windows 7, I find XP more user friendly. Course I'm an old fart and change doesn't come easy.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

I too found XP easier, until I got used to windows 7. Its a very different interface, but once you get used to it, it's a lot more efficient, and WAY more stable than XP was on it's best day. And now when I have to work with an XP system, it just feels so clunky to me anymore. I also LOVE the 64 bit version, sure there are issues with old 16 bit software, but that stuff was old and should have been retired years ago anyways (plus I do know ways to run it if I REALLY want to, there ARE emulators that will do it, and it's not a windows 7 issue anyways, it 64 bit issue, it only runs 64 and 32 bit programs). Boot times are literally seconds still after almost 2 years unless I get stupid and setup too many programs that insist on starting up before the logon prompt (again, there are cures for that too). With XP, I was lucky as I develop software and have to install and uninstall stuff all the time to get a year out of an install of XP before I had to do a wipe and reinstall to get a stable system again. This is not true of windows 7. Unfortunately they are going to do it to us again, windows 8 is going to change the interface yet again. But then again, windows 7 will serve me as XP did for at least the next 6 or 7 years, unless that is, I have to develop for it and then I'll have to work with it and might find I like it better. See, my job forces me to try new things.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Steve,

Sounds like you're more of an audiophile that I am for sure...geez, TASCAM Pro CDRW Deck seems like some serious audiophile equipment for sure, doing the A/D conversion with that instead of the computer/soundcard, I can appreciate that. I don't get to "play" my music very loud at home anymore anyways so I don't get to appreciate the difference in audio quality, so importing via the Analog "IN" jacks works for me.

I used EasyCDcreator versions 3 and 4 a decade or more ago, but it would crash or make toasters on my system often, so I got into using NERO, and haven't looked back. I don't know what version you have, I don't recall any audio filtering capabilities with it. I hope the newer version works as well as the older one you're used to, perhaps they have a Trial version you can Download and check out before putting down the $$ for the upgrade?

Cy, I do appreaciate what MS has done with Win7 putting the deathnails in Vista's COFFIN, but with as many of the BUSINESSES in the country still using XP, many of their IT depts not supporting Win7 due to special programs and such, so I'm hoping XP will be around many more years. SWMBO has 7 on her laptop, so I've gotten to use it, but I still like the nuts/bolts approach of XP, not the again attempted dummying down of the file browser system of Vista/7. I still prefer Office 2k or 2003, can't stand 2007 or 10 again because the IDIOTS at MS changed the interface forcing folks to RELEARN how to use the program, where the menu choices or even just the menu items are, etc.!! I view it like if someone were to change my bike gear shift pattern to 1up 4 down!!!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well after

reading Cy's response I've descided to go through the windows 7 tutorial. It's on the new computer, I still have 4 others with XP. What the heck, maybe I'm not to old to learn. As for Nero 6, it serves me well and I don't use a lot of the features available. No use in upgrading . Steve no matter what software/ hardware you use, it going to be time consuming but well worth the effort.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

EAC to WAV / WAV to FLAC

For CDs I use an older, I think Lite-On-derived, IDE burner with none of those new-fangled consumer content protection schemes, then EAC to WAV.

I've done literally several tens of thousands of automated and, unfortunately, thousands of manual comparisons of ripped tracks made with major name-brand software. They all failed in one way or another so I've stayed with EAC. For CDs it just works. Of most importance to me: EAC will work exactly same way every single time for every single track and the only cost was the time and the price of all of assorted name-brand software that I no longer use vs the price of a friendly postcard to Germany to say, "Hello!" to the author of EAC. Down. Down! EAC Fanboi!

For audio archiving I bought and still have a license for SHN (Shorten) files. Shortly after buying that license, FLAC hit the scene. FLAC works better for me and so does its licensing and software upgrade policy!

So, after any type of recording I convert the file(s) to FLAC, then verify the conversion and make both FFP (FLAC Fingerprint File) and MD5 files for error detection. For error correction I create PAR2 (parity) files and store them separately to protect recordings and other files that can't easily be replaced.

To make recordings I use the bundled software that came with my soundcard, a Creative Labs PCI X-Fi Elite Pro that I picked up on sale at Fry's for ~$100.

Without going into a lot of technical gobbledy-gook and system spec-itis: yes, it matters. You don't need golden ears to hear the difference even with small speakers or with headphones.

I will have to stay with 32-bit Windows XP SP3 because the software won't run on Win7. Well, it might run but I don't believe it would actually work correctly even in XP mode without 'issues' so, for me, Win7 is not a good idea and the older XP drivers are better. To keep content providers happy, Microsoft removed DirectSound support from its operating systems beginning with Windows Vista so the RAM mounted on the soundcard would be unusable and would just waste power because there is literally nothing there in Win7 for it to talk to any more.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Scott, The "new" programs that are made for 7 WILL use the ram on your card. It's just that Microsquish can't keep it behind their "wall" any longer.
                I have an Emu Systems sound CARDS (two) that will be going into my XP machine for vinyl transfer. They DO have nice A/D and D/A chips, Burr Brown! I have a friend who was working for Emu when they shut down, and he asked me if I wanted the cards! I DID say yes, as free is a good price for new in box. I know there will NOT be much support, but I'll let you know the sound quality once I get things together so I can start the process.
                I will be putting things on DVD's and my 1 TByte USB drive for safe keeping.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray, the X-Fi Elite Pro has the Burr Brown chips too!

The rest of the X-Fi line does not but the problem isn't just the hardware, drivers, or the missing DirectSound layer, it's also the bundled software applications that came with the card.

Adding another layer or +/- 32,768 to the driver and application software to emulate Microsoft's defunct DirectSound API is asking for trouble but I was looking at the EMU cards. They licensed the X-Fi processor technology from Creative and EMU seemed to be headed in a better direction while Creative was still having some teething problems with their new X-Fi cards and drivers. EMU went tango uniform and now there really aren't very many options left in the soundcard market unless you want to spend serious money for gear that will faithfully record and play back sounds that even your dog can't hear.

The Creative 'Pro card came with an external patch bay -- with real knobs, not just software controls! for the 1/4" mic, phono, line, and headphone jacks. It also came bundled with very nice consumer versions of Steinberg's software for a modest DAW including their Wave Lab Lite editor, Cubase LE with some useful VST plug-ins, and their ASIO driver. It would be very expensive to replace the software with Win7 certified versions.

I have been getting some parts together to build a modern DAW using FreeBSD instead of Windows but the only UNIX-like soundcard drivers Creative has published are for Linux and, of course, none of the applications will work. Yes, I could shim the drivers and shoehorn them into the BSD system but I just don't like Linux and I would not trust it for anything more important than running the embedded clock on a coffee machine with no network connection.
                  Last edited by 3Phase; 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                  X