Scratched DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratched DVD

I received a DVD that has two little scratches in the label side and it causes a skip in the material. Is there a way to fix this???
    Thanks
    Ole Jack
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Hey Jack,

I don't think the scratch on the Label is causing the skip. Unlike the older/earlier CD's that have their data layer/film just glued to the top surface of the disc which CAN get scratched and damaged...hence the need to put protective adhesive printed labels on home burned CD's, the DVD's actually have their data layer sandwiched between the 2 clear plastic layers of the DVD, so the data layer can't get scratched/damaged accidentally, you can write on the tops of DVD's with Magic Markers and such, no problems.

SO...I would look closer at the bottom surface for a more prominent scratch or fingerprint that could interfere with the laser being able to see the dots, they are much smaller than CD's and are more susceptible to distortion from smudges and such on the bottom layer!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

IIRC factory pressed DVD's are all dual layer and one of those layers is VERY close to the label, so a scratch on the label CAN interfere will said layer, it's just not as likely as with CD's. I've actually seen more than one DVD get scratches on the label side and cause a skip, I presume because it causes a distortion in the media layer at that point in the disc.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Try cleaning your players laser with a cleaning disc designed for that task. Every so often it can pick up a speck of dust that will compound the smallest flaw in a disc and cause it to skip.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I found a few diagrams that support what I thought was correct, that either single layer or dual layer DVD's, all of the data layers are sandwiched between protective polycarbonate(plastic) layer, then the label is on top, the Cd's have their data and label both on top with NO protective plastic layer.
          These are from this page:
          http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec3.html
          Single layer CDs and DVDs.

Single layer CD-RW and DVD-Rw

Dual layer DVD's

So...either scratches on bottom/play side of DVD, or dirty lens, or even just a defectively pressed disc, all possibilities to skipping DVD, but not scratches on the label side.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I thank all of you, you have given me a education on disks. The DVD I have is one sent to me by a company. I can't tell if the DVD is a plain sided or the DVD-RW, DVD+RW, or even the SS DL. I think I am going to have to talk the company out of a replacement.
            Ole Jack
            J.D."Jack" Smith
            1980G&S "Halfbreed"
            1978E straight job
            "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Working...
            X