another dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another dumb question

i think i need a new battery! how long on average do they last? mine is now 6 years old! ride safe,,, slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

That long is bout the extent of them mo...........
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. If you got 6 years out of it, I'd say you did pretty good.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I'd say if it's not holding a charge and the charging system checks good then the battery especially at that age is bad. Charging system is an easy check, with your volt meter, make sure your getting 14.2 to 14.5 volts at the battery at 3000 RPM, if not and the battery is fully charged, then if the battery has been tested and passed the battery test at your local battery shop it's the charging system in some way, otherwise its the battery.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
          i think i need a new battery! how long on average do they last? mine is now 6 years old! ride safe,,, slow mo!
          Hi slo mo,
          at 6 years old it's most likely it's hooped and you need to buy a new one. If the old one will keep you going until freeze-up, toss it when you winterize the bike and buy the replacement next spring.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi slo mo,
            at 6 years old it's most likely it's hooped and you need to buy a new one. If the old one will keep you going until freeze-up, toss it when you winterize the bike and buy the replacement next spring.
            Hi Mo,
            I agree with Fred. Except hang on to the dead one for the $10 deposit when you pick up the new one. Wal Mart & Canadian Tire usually have a sale in the sprring.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
            X