Narowly avoided tranny lock up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narowly avoided tranny lock up!

I've been too involved with domestic issues to report this sooner, but my scoot* finally, after 130,000+ miles, presented me with a major issue.

Jammin' home from the Santa Cruz County Fair in Watsonville, I was 5 miles from home, doin' 70 on “the 1” when I heard a “ka-chunk!” and felt a distinct shutter through the bars, and foot pegs. Thoughts of my 30 mph rear hub lock-up, and more importantly, DiverRay's 80mph tranny lock-up went through my mind. Deciding that “discretion is the better part of valor,” I decided that it was time to pull over and call AAA.

My daughter is married off now, with a grandson in the works, (no shotgun required!) and I can turn my attention to The Scoot.* It looks like it is down for the Winter. Ray turned me on to a set of over bored jugs, with matching heads and high compression pistons from a reclaimed wrecked bike. I had already planned on doing a top-end rebuild, but now it looks like a more involved complete rebuild. I plan on taking the engine out of the frame, splitting the cases, and doing pretty much a complete rebuild. I want to paint the cases black, paint the jugs and heads black and polish the outside of the cooling fins. Everything that can be bolted onto the engine will get polished or painted aluminum. I'm toying with the Idea of repainting the tank, and the presently chromed fenders. I'm thinking maybe dark forest green with gold trim. The spaghetti pipes and turnout mufflers will get painted aluminum, unless I can afford to get them ceramic coated..

Oh yea, that * thing. I've had this bike for something like 8 years and 100,000 miles that I have put on it myself and never got around to giving it a name. I thought of naming it Liberty, a concept I love, but that's my “handle” on talk shows. I considered several female names, but dismissed them all. The XS11 just doesn’t seem very feminine to me. Some Italian bike maybe, but not an XS11, so I think I'll refer to it as “my Scoot,” “The Scoot,” or just “Scoot.” Scoot being short for scooter, of course. Unless, of course someone comes up with a better idea, like LoHo did when he suggested “Special Ed” for my biker handle: thanks Loho!
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
    - - - I'm thinking maybe dark forest green with gold trim. - - - Oh yea, that * thing. I've had this bike for something like 8 years and 100,000 miles that I have put on it myself and never got around to giving it a name. - - -
    Hi Ed,
    dark green as in Lincoln green? A color much favored by that early proponent of liberty Robin Hood and Abraham Lincoln's very name.
    Call the bike Lincoln, eh?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

"Honest Abe"
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Or just Abe. Mine name is Brutus because he is such a brute, and yes, a muscular bike like this just does not seem female to me.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Nate was givin' me flak about referring to the okieSPECIAL as "him" the other day. All I could answer with was "Ain't no pussy".
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I feel all vehicles are female.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

130,000...very nice.Hope to get the same out of mine.Would like to see pics of tear down and rebuild..that would be cool. Do ya have another ride till ya get Scoot up and on the road?
              '80 XS1100 SG
              Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                Apparently your "GIRL" has agraphobia and is afraid to leave home.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Ha!

Now that there is plain funny.

Sorry Nate!

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

How about "Short Bus"? As in, "Where's Special Ed?" "Ridin' the 'Short Bus', I'll bet."
                    Last edited by LoHo; 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Female names have always seem to fit for me. My orange bobber was Bonnie because it reminded me of a Triumph. My super nice 79 special was Black Betty and my big 78 xs11 bagger was Bertha. Some ladies are brutes too.
                      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                      79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        Apparently your "GIRL" has agraphobia and is afraid to leave home.
                        Ok, never heard that one. Do you me "agoraphobia"? I can't even find a definition for your word.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          Naw, many are, but not all are. My XS400 is definitely female, as is my Malibu, and my Camaro is also, but my XS11 is just not, it's personality is just not female it's just very clearly male. Every vehicle will give you a feel for what it is, and yes, I agree most vehicles are female, but that's not always true.
                          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          750 FD Mod
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

What's in a name...

"Nate was givin' me flak about referring to the okieSPECIAL as "him" the other day. All I could answer with was 'Ain't no pussy'. "
                            Quote BA80

Yeah, I read that, and that was part of what inspired me to bring it up. I didn't mean to "dis" Italian bikes at all. They usually have "curves just-a like-a beautiful-a woman!" Nor do I mean to disparage the awesome power of women. One of my options was Bodicci! (Spellings vary.) She was a female Celtic warrior who managed to unify the quarreling British Celtic tribes and lead them into battle against the Romans. She was hugely successful! But no: the XS11 is a brute. They are about as subtle and nuanced as a freakin' claymore or viking battle ax! But Scoot seems to strike a visceral cord. Something about cruising at 80 effortlessly... catching air in second gear when the clock hits 5000 rpm
                            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

You at least need to re-name that bar. 2nd gear wheelies @ 130,000 on the bike, and more on yourself, ain't nothing sissy about that rig.
                              1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X