Am I the only one this lazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one this lazy?

So I was tuning my CB750 yesterday and I noticed that I had somehow left an extra hose clamp dangling on the downtube of the frame. It wasn't one of the four holding the Vetter fairing, just one I apparently meant to use but forgot about.

Since I was tuning the bike I only had a phillips screwdriver and a very small Craftsman flathead, barely bigger than my jewelers screwdrivers, at hand. I started turning the clamp screw (which I had apparently decided needed to be tighten almost all the way) with this little screwdriver. It did not grip well. I was lucky to get one-quarter turn before it would slip. When it did it was a bit difficult to get it going again because it was below the fairing and dark and I couldn't see the screw head. So I had to do it by feel. It took like, forever, to get that clamp off. It was very frustrating.

Now, the thing is, I was sitting on my mechanics stool not four steps from my workbench. At my workbench I have a drawer that holds two complete sets of Craftsman screw drivers, as well as an assortment of other screwdrivers, bit drivers and specialty drivers, including even some JAS screwdrivers I bought when I rebuilt by first Jap bike many years ago. As I was sitting there getting frustrated by that clamp I thought at least twice that I should get up, take four steps, and get the right tool. I did not. It seemed like too much trouble. Four steps.

I find I do that a lot. I work with the tools immediately at hand instead of getting off my stool and getting the right tool. I will sit, surrounded by probably $7,500 worth of tools; enough tools to pull and rebuild any engine in anything; and I will first try to remove a socket head bolt with a jewelers screw driver before taking that long walk.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who does this?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

yes, you are. I have never done anything like that
    Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
    Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
    and SOXS
    2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

No, I've never done that. I always get up and get the right tool. Even if it's on the other side of the garage. I would never make do with the tool I can reach without getting up when the right tool is a few steps away.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

At least you know where your tools are Pat. I usually will get up to go get what I need from where it's supposed to be and it's not there. Which leads to a cuss fest while I storm around the garage looking for it and finally find it sitting right next to what I'm working on. It wasn't there when I looked the first time.

BTW........find a box yet?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Let me get on that this week, Greg. I'm finally at a pausing point on all my projects while I wait for parts.
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I would have to agree with Greg, that is usually how it goes for me too.

Yeah, did you find a box yet!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I would never do that, although I have five 12mm sockets and can never find one when I need it.
              "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

LoHo, You just have to find the right words and they will appear like MAGIC!!!
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

And all at once.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

That's kind of like using a 13mm socket to remove a 12mm bolt. You might be able to remove it but if you don't you'll have a stripped head you'll pay for dearly later. That's most applicable to phillips and slotted head bolts where you can't really apply the proper ammount of pressure to break them free if you don't use the right size driver. When you strip them you not only have to figure out how to get them out, but then have to replace them....
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

But if it saves four steps....

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                        But if it saves four steps....
                        Now that IS lazy......
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Quote: LoHo, You just have to find the right words and they will appear like MAGIC!!!

I have a little ritual that works: if I use an open end wrench to eventually get the bolt loose, as I set it down, it hits a 12mm socket.
                          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Nope. Not me, never...
                            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I was going to try to formulate a witty remark, however, I just couldn't find the energy it required.
                              Ernie
                              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X