want to ride-but cant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to ride-but cant

Want to really do but cut my right index finger on a table saw at work 10 days ago and cut is not healing as fast as i would like.Had stitches(6)removed but area is still tender and just have to wait.I did start the bike the other day after not riding it for a while-(hurricane Irene and weeks of steady rain) and it started up no issues.Just have to wait and pray i don't have nerve damage as i get a burning sensation in it.Healing but taking its time.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Heal up man. At least it sounds like you didn't do any permanent damage. The bike will still be there when you get healed up. That said, I know how you feel being injured and wanting to ride and not being able to. Just don't make things worse by getting on before it's healed enough to handle the riding though.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I know the feeling. All in time.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Look at the upside; you still have a index finger!

I know that it will be tender for a loonng time even after it heals; I split mine open year ago (13 stitches worth) and it was several years before I could bang it against something without it putting me to my knees...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I cut my hand pretty bad a work once and couldn't ride my bike home. I asked a co worker (Harley rider) to ride it home for me. When he got to the house I went and asked him what he thought...........

His eyes were BIG and this guy didn't get excited about anything and he said, " I pulled it out onto the highway off the entrance ramp and.............DAMN, THAT SONOFABITCH WANT'S TO GO DON"T IT?!!!!"
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The downside to my injury at work-my bosses punish people who cost the company money such as this.They have restricted OT for me until Dr said i can return to duty full time with no restrictions.They also didn't pay me for time spent in the hospital-6 hours total pay until i said i would contact a lawyer-after all that is why we have workers compensation insurance taken out of the paychecks.Finally got the money owed but they did try to take advantage of the situation.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Damn Peter!!
              That's why we're having the 'occupy wall street and 99%' demostrations. Because of the abuses from the haves against the have nots.
              For what it's worth, I typically just use my middle and sometimes the ring finger for braking leaving the index and pinky for control of the handlebar. So maybe.....???
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I dont wnat it to rip open so i will wait.When i was getting the stitches out Friday the guy next to me cut his finger on a slicer.He was on the phone telling everyone it was so bad, but Dr told me he had no stitches put in only the disolving ones so not as serious as he thought!Just greatful i didnt lose finger!
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Glad you still have all 10! I cut into the end of mine with a bandsaw at home last year, and that was scary! Can't imagine the idea of cutting it with a tablesaw.

You should check out the recent legal mess with Ryobi and the Consumer Product Saftey Commission. Ryobi was sued and lost $1.5mil because some untrained idiot was using a contractor-style saw to cut hardwood flooring without the rip fence or any other safety equipment, and without having been trained by his employer in the safe operation of the saw! The CPSC is looking at mandating that all new tablesaws would be required to include the sawstop technology that brakes the blade and drops it out of harms way before you can get more than a nick out of your finger. Really nice technology, but it would make tablesaws cost-prohibitive for home DIYers or small contractors.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Yes the table saw we have at work has a guard only which was not used as i was cutting a pretty big piece of wood.I must have used this saw about 1000 times before so i was very knowledgeable about it-i just did something stupid and paid the price.Nobodys fault but mine.I will just be extra cautious the next time.This is a old piece of equipment so no fancy guards but am looking at changing that.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Ok so the stitches were taken out 10 days after they were put in.2 of the stitches were inbedded in new skin so the ER Dr had to pull them out with tweezers.Saw stars and felt like my finger was on fire.My finger has only a little bit more to heal and it is starting to get like abig callous on it.Followed Dr's instructions to a "T" but now feel a constant burning sensation in my right index finger by were i was cut.Do you think in time that it will go away?It took my work 3 weeks to pay me for 8 hours spent in the hospital.They tried to tell me that time spent in the hospital was work compensation time and they didnt have to pay me.Contacted lawyer who told them differently.
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Inline fuel filters
                      160 mph speedometer mod
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

The nerves are healing and the burning sensation should diminish and go away.

No pics? I feel cheated.

I backed into the meat slicer at the deli where I was employed for a while. I was fired for getting a little behind in my work.

Comment

I can post pics but the gory stuff you wont see-almost healed-finger looks bigger than other finger but a slight pink color.When i cut my middle finger on my left hand i was almost fired and was out of work 82 days.Had to contact a lawyer when they wanted to fire me because they thought it was my fault.Also broke the tip of middle finger at the time which made the healing process slower.
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          Inline fuel filters
                          160 mph speedometer mod
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

No cut fingers this year

I sympathize. Broke my ankle Aug 12th riding dirtbikes. Awesome weather for the rest of the summer and all I get to ride is the couch. I got my freedom back on Oct 5th. I spent the week after riding all over n. Michigan color touring. Then the weather got crappy and I had to go back to work.

Comment

Just an update-my finger is healed up-when it started to get cold out finger would go numb but now feels better.Starting to get feeling back in it.Was put on a printing press at work for 3 months and actually rode the bike to Moms house for its winter nap 2 weeks ago.
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                              X