Bike ramp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike ramp

Building ramp for my pick up, so I can take this baby down South. I would like to hear from Y'all, about how you do, or did it? I have a convenient 2X12, and I had seen a ramp kit at Menard's for a 2X12, so now I have to work on mounting the bike Stable, for the ride. Thanks in advance!
    Sam

I used 2 2X6's with a piece of 5/8" plywood on top of it, then a cross-piece of 2/6 on one end to grip the tailgate. The whole thing is 8' long, about 18" wide. Used it several times for loading/unloading bikes with various trucks, and works fine. It was all scrap laying around at work, so it was free too!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Heh heh.......all I've ever used to load one in a pickup is a drainage ditch. Just back the truck down in there and ride the bike on.

The center stand and some good ratcheting straps should be all you need in a pickup. I've hauled mine thousands of miles just as I've said here.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Heh heh.......all I've ever used to load one in a pickup is a drainage ditch. Just back the truck down in there and ride the bike on.

The center stand and some good ratcheting straps should be all you need in a pickup. I've hauled mine thousands of miles just as I've said here.
        +1 there! I even just pulled my tailgate off once to use as a ramp when I couldn't find a incline high enough.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I even just pulled my tailgate off once to use as a ramp
          Ouch, I would imagine that most trucks tailgates couldn't withstand the 600#s of an XS11 without a little dent or 2.

But I give you props on your ingenuity. Use what you got and 'get er done'!
          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
          The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.
          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
          Scarlet
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
          Hugo
          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
          Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
            Ouch, I would imagine that most trucks tailgates couldn't withstand the 600#s of an XS11 without a little dent or 2.

But I give you props on your ingenuity. Use what you got and 'get er done'!
            it was actually a pretty fancy custom tailgate, and it dint hurt it a bit!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              - - - The center stand and some good ratcheting straps should be all you need in a pickup. I've hauled mine thousands of miles just as I've said here.
              Hi Greg,
              what works for me is to load the bike kitty-corner with the front wheel jammed into a front corner.
              Prop it on the sidestand while hooking up the straps then use the straps to pull the bike upright.
              Ratchet the straps down to compress the suspension half-way to keep the straps tight.
              And around here the ditches are full of snow all winter and melt water in the spring so a ramp does come in handy.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sooo ...Technical!

Allright! Keep it simple! I like to hear that all you got to do is get it on the truck. That pretty much say's it all. Thanks all! I think I have enough scrap to put it all together also.

Comment

Working...
                X