Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new (to me) technique

Hey all,
    I haven't posted in awhile, as it's been a busy summer. Been working on my Softail a little, instead of putting on a lot of factory bolt ons. The latest endeavor has been copper plating hardware and chrome parts. I don't and will not ride in the rain, so the corrision prone qualities of copper are not really of consequence to me. But the outstanding look is, as I transition this bike slowly toward a "Steam Punk" bend. Anyway, here are the results of my back porch brewed process:

Plated parts have to be either stripped (zinc plated) or etched (chrome plated) with sulfuric acid prior to plating. Then they are electro plated at two amps in a mixture of water, vinegar, copper sulfate pentahydrate, and copper tubing. So far I have just been limited by the size of my battery acid container! I will be trying larger components soon, and will let you all know how that works!

Oh, FWIW, aluminum takes very easily to this as well.
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Are you clear coating things after the copper? Copper is soft and scratches easy and also likes to turn black. think if those pennies you have laying around.

I have always liked the color of copper. Looks good!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

For now I am not coating it, and will just have to polish a little more Actually, I am kind of shooting for a little of the copper patina eventually with this anyway, so it needs to age a little. I guess I can always replate it too!
      Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
      X