Helmet face shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet face shield

So, what do you guys who wehre visors on your helmets do about rain and fog? I find my visor becomes pretty much a liability in mist or light rain (heavy rain isn't a picnic either)
    This morning I got to the point where the outside was saturated, and the inside was fogged so badly that I had to lift the visor and deal with water in the eyes. What kind of solutions do you guys use for this?
    1981 XS 11 special
    red
    40,000 miles

Originally posted by Hmar View Post
    So, what do you guys who wehre visors on your helmets do about rain and fog? I find my visor becomes pretty much a liability in mist or light rain (heavy rain isn't a picnic either)
    This morning I got to the point where the outside was saturated, and the inside was fogged so badly that I had to lift the visor and deal with water in the eyes. What kind of solutions do you guys use for this?
    Hi Hmar,
    while anti-fogging compounds do give some temporary relief, on a long ride, nothin' works.
    For me, a long ride in the rain is a multi-stage process.
    Ride with visor closed until the anti-fogging stuff stops working.
    Click the visor a little bit open so the fogging can clear and ride until the visor beads over with raindrops.
    Click the visor more open and look underneath it.
    Ride like that until my glasses bead over with raindrops.
    The final phase is to pull my glasses down my nose and squint over the top of my glasses and below the edge of my visor as I ride on the hard shoulder at ~40mph until I get home.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Spraying the shield with Pledge, inside and out helps,,,, a bit. Fitting a fairing helps a lot more. Nothing, short of windshield wipers and a defroster, will cure the problem. Complained to the dealer service manager when I bought the machine that neither worked. He said Yamaha was working on the warranty problem, check back in about 30 years. I went back a couple of years ago, dealer was gone. Guess I won't get any warranty repair.

Comment

I use the Respro FoggyMask. It installed in just a minute or so, and has remained in my helmet since I installed it in January of this year. It prevents your breath from reaching the shield and fogging it up. Of course, if your face is really warm, it can still fog up a little bit, but nothing like it does without the mask.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

In order to clear the shield of raindrops at highway speeds I just turn my head sideways both ways so the rushing wind blows them away. It works for the larger droplets but some small ones will remain, not enough to impede visibility. Also, for interior fogging, two things: 1- use/get a breath guard, 2- if you cannot improve the ventilation in your helmet by adjusting/modifying the liner to allow the air to flow through the vents, get a new helmet. webbikeworld.com has good reviews and one of the items they rate is ventilation. You don't have to spend big bucks on a well ventilated lid. Both of mine are <$100.00 (Zox).
          Good luck.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Full coverage or 3/4 helmets, heavy rain flip the visor up one click to vent........no more fog unless your a heavy breather.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have an Arai helmet. It ventilates pretty well and the design keeps my breath off the face shield. Not perfect, but not terrible.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

I use the same anti fogging solution on my helmet that I use on my SCUBA mask it lasts for a short time ususlly a couple of hours. I get it at a local SCUBA Shop.

Comment

I have a GMAX helmet that had an elec. visor on it. I didn't have the hook up, so i don't know how well it worked.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                  1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                  A quick death and an easy one.
                  A pretty girl and an honest one.
                  A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I second the cat crap! I use that for snowmobiling and motorcycling and like the results. Haven't had to re-apply it only a few times during each riding season... I use it on my ski goggles too!
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Where do you get the cat crap. (I aint going near the litterbox)
                        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Hey Jet, for how much an Arai or Shoei lightens your pocket, they ought to have a defogger/defroster mounted in them..............
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

for how much an Arai or Shoei lightens your pocket, they ought to have a defogger/defroster mounted in them..............
                            You got that right! So far, that Arai Profile is the only thing I've found that fits. I've tried several that don't.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

My Shoei sucks for venting
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                              A quick death and an easy one.
                              A pretty girl and an honest one.
                              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Working...
                              X