A pat on the back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pat on the back

This has probably been said before, but I have spent a lot of time on various motorcycle forums, but this one is the most civilized, friendliest I've ever come across. I want to thank the moderators here for doing a great job. All of the members here are consistently friendly and helpful. Thanks all!
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
    2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
    1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Aint that the truth!

+1 on that comment
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I definitely agree. Even though people didn't like what I was doing, there was never any negative criticism or harshness. It is definitely a breath of fresh air!

Comment

Originally posted by ShootersHoliday View Post
        I definitely agree. Even though people didn't like what I was doing, there was never any negative criticism or harshness. It is definitely a breath of fresh air!
        Hi Shooter,
        just to get it over with and in a spirit of friendliness, here's a thing I wrote about (and some will claim, keep on and on posting about) those who hardtail bikes that formerly had rear suspension:-
        Why stop at a hardtail? Go all the way! Stretch the forks & rake the frame, remove the fenders and the front brake, fit a tiny little gas tank painted with the US flag, smoke up some dope and pretend you are Peter Fonda.
        OTOH, it's your bike to do what you want with, your spine and your chiropractic bills.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Hi Shooter,
          just to get it over with and in a spirit of friendliness, here's a thing I wrote about (and some will claim, keep on and on posting about) those who hardtail bikes that formerly had rear suspension:-
          Why stop at a hardtail? Go all the way! Stretch the forks & rake the frame, remove the fenders and the front brake, fit a tiny little gas tank painted with the US flag, smoke up some dope and pretend you are Peter Fonda.
          OTOH, it's your bike to do what you want with, your spine and your chiropractic bills.
          The irony of your post is that the bike is now more comfortable for me while riding. The springer seat is better for my back & hip as I can absord the majority of the impact in my legs rather than forcing my back to take the hit.

The rest of your rant I'll chalk up to being one of the guys who think these are the best looking bikes ever

After all, I'm keeping a bike on the road that was otherwise headed to the salvage yard. It may not be original, but at least its out on the road!

Comment

your bike

The irony of your post is that the bike is now more comfortable for me while riding. The springer seat is better for my back & hip as I can absord the majority of the impact in my legs rather than forcing my back to take the hit.

The rest of your rant I'll chalk up to being one of the guys who think these are the best looking bikes ever

After all, I'm keeping a bike on the road that was otherwise headed to the salvage yard. It may not be original, but at least its out on the road!

your bike and you made it how you wanted, thats all that counts. I dont like being like everyone else thats why i am building mine, so that every part will be the way i want.
            xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Hi Shooter, I checked your "80 Bobber" post to see what you've done.
              Oddly, I recently put a solo spring seat on my 1970 BSA250 and yes! it's more comfortable. Especially compared to the BSA's nasty narrow hard too high stock dualseat. Betcha if you removed the solid struts and put the shocks back on your XS11 it'd ride nicer yet.
              If you check out my sidecar rig photos you'll notice I'm not obsessed with keeping the bike stock at all.
              What I do obsess about is folks who make bikes less rideable for the sake of style.
              The usual way to do this is to remove the rear suspension. The only good excuse to do a hardtail is if you buy a bike that's had it's rear end crushed and have no cash to fix the suspension.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Shooter,
                So what's wrong with Peter Fonda? He still rides to Sturgis every summer.Don't forget it was just a movie & I'll bet he's never even tried weed in real life.
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                  So what's wrong with Peter Fonda? He still rides to Sturgis every summer.Don't forget it was just a movie & I'll bet he's never even tried weed in real life.
                  Hi Tom,
                  Easy Rider was just a movie, as were all of the many Peter Fonda movies in which he played a stoned biker.
                  My money is on he made them because they were cheap to film and he didn't have to act as such, just be himself.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My money is on him having at least having tried it once if not having used it at least for a while a one point in his life. No, I'm not saying he is using it now, or even that he's not, as I don't know him, but based on where he lives/lived chances are very high that he at least dabbled in used of the herb at some point in his life.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Peter Fonda was very much a practitioner of the 'lifestyle' of the era (there's a couple of interviews floating around that makes that pretty clear!) but he was one of the smart ones who knew where the 'edge' was and stayed on the right side of it...
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                      X