New toys are home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toys are home

Brought my latest treasures home saturday, 79Special and what seems to be an 81 Special. The 81 has a 5/80 on the tag but title is for a 81. No matter. The 80/81 is complete w/windjammerIV fairing. Guy said it "jumped time". Turned the engine by hand and everthing seemed ok, will pull valve cover before cranking it hard. Starter button broke, but thats a easy fix. 79 is kinda sad, all the parts are there but for somereason he had pulled the carbs and the valve cover. Both were covered real good so they were both pretty much just dusty. I am going to get the 80 going so I have a garage mate for my 80g hard bagger. What is really cool is the virgin Kerker, chrome 4-1 exhaust I have laying in my living room. Well, now I have something to do this winter!! I know this site is going to be invaluable during this project. Thanks for the past, and the future help.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Hey there KEOKI,
    Do you have a manual? Take off the timing cover as well, slowly rotate the crank clockwise while looking at the timing plate, stop at the "T" mark, and then check the cams, the little dots on the cams should be essentially straight up at 12 oclock, if they are, then it didn't jump time!? He could have developed that stuttering 1st or 2nd gear malady which can feel like the engine jumps !?!? If the P.O. wasn't much of a mechanic, the engine may be in better shape than he thinks!
    When you check your valve clearances, if they are all fairly close and not way off, then it's also doubtful that any valves got bent, but a compression test can help there! Good luck! Have fun!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X