New to the Forum, Just bought my XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum, Just bought my XS

OK, I just bought a 1980XS, going back with the trailer to pick it up on Tuesday.

There's a lot I want to do to it, and a little I have to do to it. I have tons of questions, I won't post them all yet.

First, I want to get rid of the fairing and the trunk. I would trade for a headlight bucket and light and turn signals and maybe a little cash (pm me if your're interested). It's in decent shape. Side bags are gone.

The intake boots are dry and cracked, but it doesn't seem like they are leaking. Is this something that needs attention right away?

Brakes are a little soft, this will be a priority.

It has sat for about a year, should I drain all the fluids and put in fresh?

Tires are new Dunlop, no worries there.

I have pics, but don't know how to post them here.

Looking forward to all the wisdom from this board, and getting on my XS!

Welcome to the board Treeves!

Start a photobucket account to post pics.

You want to do some tradin' PM me. I could always use a fairing and trunk.

Cracked boots certainly doesn't mean they ar leaking but I can fix you up with some fair ones cheap.

Most definitly change the fluids, cheaper than hard parts.

Check the dates on those tires, if it's been sitting a year they ain't new. This ain't a used car. If you blow a tire it's your ass.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Here's the pics

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMAG0031.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMAG0030.jpg

Comment

That looks like an 81 to me Treeves, with a special exhaust on it.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That's a pretty nice looking Venturer, too bad the OEM bags are gone. These came stock with the fairing, hard bags, the rear rack, and the trunk was optional. You also have the extra-large fuel tank that was only used that year on that model.

Welcome!
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Feet, the 81H came stock with the short exhaust.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

with a special exhaust on it. ////////////The Venturer had same exhaust as the 81Special. BTW Treeves, That Is an 81 Venturer 1100 and good advice would be to keep that as a Venturer 1100. Short of the missing frame work and the side trunks, all looks to be there. Still has the original seat and original mirrors. Possibly the bars have been changed and that tail trunk was added on after removing the slide-in adjustable backrest. Actually looks to be a good find.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Venturers are rare as they were only made in 1981...you'd do well to keep that intact...but ultimately its your ride...BTW Welcome to CH11
                1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Feet, the 81H came stock with the short exhaust.
                  WTF is Feet?

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  with a special exhaust on it. ////////////The Venturer had same exhaust as the 81Special.
                  Ok ok dammit! I wasn't sure about that. It just looked different with the SH exhaust on a standard. The engine side covers and the engine paint scheme gave it away to me.
                  Last edited by BA80; 08-28-2011, 10:26 PM.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    WTF is Feet?
                    Well it was supposed to be Greg, but now I know that if you slightly mis-spell it my phone auto corrects it to feet, fitting
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sharp bike!

Doesn't look like it needs much to be all original.
                      Instead of chopping it, find someone on here with a frankenbike & trade. You'll both be better off.

That model & the 78E will be the collectibles of the future. Prices could soar into four figures!
                      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I'd be more than happy to trade. I didn't buy it as a Venturer, I just wanted a bike to ride. I won't be doing much touring, mostly around town. I'd love to have a plain jane 78, something more like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

If anybody is interested, act fast, before I start chopping!

Thanks

Comment

If you lived closer I'd trade ya. Looks like you havwe a nice find there.
                          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                          X