Sacrilegious...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacrilegious...........

I know a lot of us like to retain the original look of our bikes but...
    has anyone ever tried to make your bike "brandless"?

I recently removed the emblems from the tank, front and side covers(filled in all holses) and repainted all metalflake black. The bike looks strangely anonymous except for the "Yamaha" on the engine covers. I had the thought of using bondo to cover up the lettering and painting the covers high temperature black. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know I could probably have these parts made, but that would be big bucks.

Not to fear, I have a spare original tank, side covers, emblems, etc to get the bike back to the original state if I want to.

Thanks,
    Rick

alumn rods

there are aluminumun rods that will melt using a propane torch avalible check with some local welding shops they work i fixed a crack in a valve cover with them...........MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

re...alum rods

Thanks Mitch,

That is a great solution. I'll look into it today.

Rick

Comment

My xs11 is the same, total black paint job with no clues to the make. Only a 'xs' on one side of the tank. Black covers hide the 'yamaha' from a distance. Onlookers have to come in close!

Comment

blacked out and namesless... except for engine covers
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

That bike is Sweeeet! That thing got a hemi? It looks a lot like Twilite Special

Comment

I like that look when done well!
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

that was a few years ago when i first got it running. doesnt look as good now... (rattle can + Gas= missing paint)
                But, Thank you! A Paint gun is on my x-mas list..
                Shawn
                78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                78 XS1100E Parts
                www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

I understand and yes we also have made our bikes fairly brandless. There are a couple of options for filling in the yamaha stamped impression.

First, I was looking at having mine powder coated or chromed and for that application you can have someone that is very good at welding aluminum, fill the impressions then sand and polish flat or...
                  If no high temp process is being used you can fill them in with lead or bondo as you suggested. Good Luck, Buck Benton - White Georgia

Comment

In the late 70’s and early 80’s most stores were selling generic products in white packages with black block lettering. I took a Honda CB100 and filled in the Honda lettering on the cases with JB-weld and painted the engine black and the tank white. I stenciled “MOTORCYCLE” on the tank in black letters.

I thought it was hilarious but not many other people saw the humor. Since it didn’t run anyway and I had a salvage shop at the time, I parted it out. I should have taken pictures…

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                    X