Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My father totaled his Honda Shadow today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My father totaled his Honda Shadow today.

My father was riding his 2000 Honda Shadow VLX to the gas station today and an old lady pulled right in front of him. He didnt even have time to hit the brakes, he went right in to the side of the car. The lady apparently needed to turn around so she cut through a parking lot and out into oncoming traffic without looking. He locked his arms and upon impact went right off of the bike and onto the car. His butt went through the windshield on the car and his head hit the hood. The lady tried to say that he was going too fast but there was a cop right behind him when it happened. So, no dispute there. Actually, the whole wreck happened in front of the local Police Precinct. He wasnt going that fast, as the bike was in second gear. Get this, the lady's husband asked my father if his insurance would cover their car! What nerve. The only cuts on him were minor and from the mirrors on the bike, but he is going to the hospital to get checked out. The bike did not make it out so good, however. The front tire is about even with the radiator and the frame is bent. So it will probably be declared a total. Book value on the bike is about $4000 and they owe about $8000 because of the prepaid maintenence and finance charges. So they are just screwed out of the rest. Its amazing, aint it, how people get screwed because of IDIOTS. When I pulled up and saw the remains of the bike I could have beaten the woman with my helmet. Could have killed her right there. I am a firm beliver of GOOD RIDDANCE TO STUPID PEOPLE!

I hope your father is alright, sounds like it was a pretty bad accident. If I remember correctly, many neck and back problems don't really surface until a few days after an accident like that, so be on the look-out. Perhaps your father should contact a lawyer for legal council to see if there is anything that can make the situation better for himself? I keep seeing these ads on TV about motorcycle accident lawyers, but I couldn't tell ya' what the exact site was.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

accidents happen...............

Sorry to hear about your dad, just thank God he was not hurt worse than he was. Sometimes we as people do some pretty stupid things, just not thinking that our actions could cost someone their life. You see, my oldest brother was killed on his motorcycle, he was 17 at the time and I was 14. A drunk driver pulled out in front of him, he was not hurt but died 4 months later from cancer, my brother lived 6 months in intensive care before he died, he lived 2 months longer than the man that hit him. When I was 19 years old I was riding on the back of my friends 900 Kawasaki, he turned down the same road my brother was riding on the day of his accident. Your'e not going to believe this but a man pulled out in front of us in the exact same place as did the man that hit my brother. My buddie hit the brakes hard but he could see that we weren't going to be able to stop in time, so he had to lay the bike down to keep from broadsiding him. We just about missed him, but our back tire hit his front tire which made us snap up and hit his bumper with our rib cage. Broke 2 of my ribs and 2 or 3 of my buddies ribs, thank God for helmets, they were pretty scratched up. When I look back, I have made some pretty stupid moves on motorcycles and in cars some that could have cost someone their life if not my own. Let's all try to be safe drivers it could save your life and others.
      Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

Don,t let her insurance company rip you off!!! I had a similar accident on my 2week old Laverda 1000 Jota. Dipstick rearended me at a stoplight. Launched me into two other cars. Bike was totalled, I was mad, two cars damaged. They wanted to give me "book" on the bike. Her policy limit should be around 25k on property damage. Dont settle for less than what you need to pay off the bike and other punititive damages. They paid for my bike, fixed the cars, a gave me $$ to sign off. They will drag there feet, but will eventually pay up. Glad you Dad is ok.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Four Words

Hire a good liar errr, lawyer .....MITCH
          ps: glad dads ok!!!!
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Just curious, Where does the bike go after its totaled? I am trying to find out because I would love to be able to get ahold of it. Would make a good chopper project. Does the insurance company get it? I wonder if I might be able to buy it from them.

Comment

The owners gets first shot at the bike. He can buy it for "salvage value", if he dosent want it it goes to an auction "salvage pool". The bike will have a "salvage title" which may or may not not make a difference where you live.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Does anyone have a clue what salvage value for it might be? Are we talking $100 or $2000? I know that salvage on cars in my area is about $50-$100. I would put a frame and front end on it and ride it again. See if I cant mow me down the stupid old lady that he hit.

Comment

Insurance

I would offer 500 to 800 dollars for it. Mowing down the old lady Priceless!!!!!lol.........MITCH
                  Doug Mitchell
                  82 XJ1100 sold
                  2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                  2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                  1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                  47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Glad your dad's ok...
                    On the bike note... new frame, tripple tree, its bearings, forks, rim, tire, front wheel bearings, probbaly brake disc, cosmetics, maybe even swingarm and its bearings (weird stuff happens when frames bend), handlebars, lamp, radiator,....
                    if you get one with seized engine, it's a good deal.

LP
                    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Salvage value?

The insurance company told me they put the bike up for bid to several salvage companys, the one who bids highest is what you pay if you want it.

BUT, I had a dealer tell me that after he did an estimate on a bike (severly damaged) that the insurance company asked him if there was any 'salvage value' to the bike and he said no and they gave it to him and then he sold it for $800 bucks.

I also know of a guy who told the insurance company that he wanted the bike back and they just gave it to him after the deal was settled.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that every insurance company handles this differently. Salvage value depends on the amount of damage, and how desirable a model it is. Good luck. Glad the injurys were not serious.
                      Gary Granger
                      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                      X