What have you run over lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you run over lately?

Ben's recent post about dodging a loose tire (Run free! Fly!) on the freeway got me to thinking . . .

I have had a long and interesting driving career. Motorcycles since I was about 8 years old, 18-Wheelers, and hundred's of thousands (really) of miles in cars and light trucks. I drive so much that I have rarely sold anything that was not completely worn out (290K miles on the last light truck).

Basically every kind of rig that's ever been made . . .

I am a safe but aggressive driver, with an excellent record, but nevertheless, if you are out there a lot, things happen. I have seen and occasionally impacted a lot of stuff on the freeways. Occasionally I have been the "dropee" myself.

For all the weird stuff I see (but miss) I cannot help but actually imagine the item(s) falling off a truck in front of me when I am on my bike. Many times the most coherent thought is Aggghhhhhkkkk! (or Holy sh!t!!)

Anyway, some of the things I have encountered:

In my truck: Guy in a convertible looses a battle with a bag of Cheetos (the puffy ones). Not sure why he was fighting with it, but he did get it open. The bag ripped spectacularly and I promptly drove through a rather large cloud of puffy cheetos. Many came in the window so I had an impromptu snack (using the 10 second rule of course).

In a 78 Ford van: I had large double mirrors (for trailer towing). I looked out the right mirror just in time to see the top convex mirror fly off (the glass came out of the frame). Watched in the lower mirror as it impacted the windshield of the car behind me and exploded into shards of glass . I pulled off, but he did not so I assume it caused no damage.

On "Well Oiled Machine": Driving downtown on US 75. Came across about 20 cast iron frying pans of varying sizes scattered across the highway. Had to dodge a few but that was no big deal. Could not help but think how annoying it would have been to be caught in a cloud of bouncing cast iron frying pans when they dropped off the truck or whatever that was carrying them.

In my Ford Bronco: Going 70 up the freeway, car beside me. The car in front dodged into the next lane, I could not due to the car beside me. Ran over a stop light! Big one too, they are much bigger than they look up on the poles. Bet they are expensive too! Glad I am not the one that lost it. WHAM! CRUNCH! No damage to my truck (cause it was a Bronco).

Driving my GS750 on us287. Flat out in the middle of nowhere, no bridges, no trees, nothing. A construction cone falls out of the sky directly in front of me and I ran over it. (You know, one of those semi-soft orange cones.) Pondered that one for a while . . . trying to figure out where the hell it came from . . . maybe somebody was trying to tell me something . . . but the mystery was answered when I passed a semi in front of me. He had about 6 more of the things hung up in his dually wheels on the trailer (this was a pole trailer . . . no real box). One launched itself practically straight up as I passed him. Bet it went 100 feet or more!

On my Valk: Passed a brake drum off of a semi that was sitting on the shoulder. Those are pretty big . . . maybe foot and a half in diameter and a foot wide. Bet they weigh 100 pounds. Could see the tracks and bounce marks in the asphalt where it had landed. Went for a long way . . . made big dents in the road!

Coke truck dropped about 4 cases of Coke cans directly in my lane while I was on my GS750. They all exploded. Got to drive through a cloud of bouncing full Coke cans, aluminum shrapnel, and sticky coke. Man that bike was tough to clean after that. Me too for that matter.

US 380: Three squashed cars had fallen off the scrap truck and were blocking the highway. One (not squashed . . . much) car that had been traveling the roadway was on top of one of the scrap cars . . . guess that is better than underneath.

US 380: Got to see a GIANT tire rolling down the side of the road. It was one of those tires for a huge dump truck (about 14 feet high and 6 feet wide) that had fallen off the flat-bed semi that was carrying it (it could only carry two!). Two people injured in the small passenger car it ran over.

US 75: On my Valkyrie. Ran over a line printer! Large flat dot-matrix job that the paper fed through the bottom of . . . about 3 feet wide, by 1 foot deep, by 6 inches tall. It slid out from under the car just in front and beside me. Could not miss it. I figure it was going 45 mph. Fell off a flat-bed trailer along with a bunch of keyboards. I was pissed, as it threw me forward onto my tank and put a scratch in my brand new Valkyrie (from my jacket buckle). I work in the printing industry, and have always said it will be probably be what kills me . . . but how horribly ironic to be killed my the printing industry when I am not even at work!

US 75: On my Valkyrie: Drove through a puddle of (about) 10 penny nails. Somebody had lost a 50 pound ox or two of them on the freeway. Could hear them plinging off the fenders, wheels, and exhaust. Lots of cars were off the road after the spill. I pulled off and carefully checked, but did not pick up any nails. Phew.

I35E: 3 sheets of plate glass fall off the side carrier of the glass truck on front of me. Tempered apparently as it shattered into the little squares. Drove through the mess of flying glass in my truck.

US75: In my Ramcharger: Hit a water-heater sized box that apparently contained nothing but styrofoam packing peanuts. It exploded! I was immediately choking on packing peanuts, they came in the windows. I was picking them out of the Ramcharger for about 3 years after that (they would pop out of an AC vent, and kept showing up in the air cleaner).

I dodged an anvil in the middle of the highway in east Texas. Kept looking around for the Roadrunner or Wiley Coyote. Stopped to pick it up, but it I could not budge it. Had to have been over 300 pounds (I am as strong as an ox . . . or so).

Drove through a mess of silverware on us121 (on "WOM").

I dodged what was left of a 6-man hottub on us75 in Plano. Very shortly afterward found a slate-topped pool table to avoid. Then the pool balls. Did not see any pool ques . . . or the rack.

Those are just what I can think of off-hand. What have you run over lately?
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Danny, you have more than 9 lives!

I haven't run over anything...lately (knock on wood)

most recent vivid memory (2 yrs ago):
    running over a log about 6" in diameter at about a
    45 deg angle to my direction of travel. It dropped
    my bike and me.

I suppose I shouldn't have been riding down in that muddy
    ditch in the first place, eh? Actually, the log saved
    me from a big pile of rocks just a ways beyond it, whew!
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I ran over a woodchuck with my Suzuki TS90 when I was about 14, I thought I killed it, but he was still breathing......so I picked him up and took him to my house and layed him in the yard. Then he woke up! Holy Crap.....one pissed off woodchuck! Made noises, tried to bite me, YIKES!

Gary
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

on the 78E i have ran over a little dog... was going down the street with swmbo on the back. he cleared the last car in the drive way at a full run... i didnt even have a chance to do anything to avoid him...THUMP THUMP ...one less dog not on a leash...

In the 79 merc i have hit a coon at 70mph at about 2 am in Florida,pushed the raditor support back into the fan, had to buy a new radiator. cost me $270 and 18 hours longer in Fl than i planned.
        Shawn
        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
        78 XS1100E Parts
        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Jackrabbits

Years ago I lived in central California and had to make a banzai run back to Iowa (were I grew up). 5 of us loaded up a 65 Buick Skylark and headed east. We were high-tailing it across the Nevada desert at night when THUD - THUD, what was that? Donnie, the driver, said that it was a jack rabbit that jumped out in front of the car. Dumb bunny. A few miles later, THUD - THUD again. Another dead rabbit.

Well, then it became a contest to see how many rabbits we could hit. We put a bit of a dent in the Nevada & Utah jack rabbit population that night.

I know, I know - pretty cruel. But hey, we were young and dumb. Plus it did the service of feeding the coyotes and it also kept the driver alert.
          I am a man,
          but I can change,
          if I have to,
          I guess.

Comment

I had just left our yard with a load. I was driving down this street towards the tollroad and saw this dog playing by a fence to my right and some kids playing across the street to my left. I remember saying to myself please don't run back across dog. No sooner had I said that, the dog darts across in front of me.I wasn't going fast (30mph) but with traffic being heavy and having a full load I couldn't risk slamming on the brakes. I hoped he would make it, but I caught him left off center, I felt the thumb as the rear tractor wheels got him and then the trailer wheels. God, I felt so bad.
            I saw him laying there thru my mirrors, thankfully I couldn't see the kids as I know they saw it all happen and the dog probally belonged to one of them. It really bothered me for a long time.

Another time, this was back in '67. I was 16 at the time and was driving a VW Bug going over to friends house.
            I driving down the street doing about 20 and some kids were playing out in front of their home, all of a sudden this little boy runs right out in front of me, he was so short I didn't even see his head above the front of the parked car, didn't even have time to hit the brakes, BAM I hit him, on his hip, dead center on the license plate. He flies up in the air and sort of turns away from the car and lands on his ass, bounces alittle and then rolls over. Oh, my god, I couldn't believe I hit a kid, I was shaking so bad I had a hard time opening the door to get out. The parents come rushing out of the house, I'm yelling how sorry I am, I didn't see him. They rush to him and he's crying. I'm just standing there shaking, watching them, not able to think, just numb. I don't know how long it was but he finally stopped crying and the police and ambulance came, they took him to the hospital. It turned out that all he had was a good bruise on his hip.

To this day whenever I see kids playing I slow down, real slow til I'm past them. You 'll never want to go thru what I did, it was a horrable experence, thankfully the boy wasn't hurt bad, I can't imangine had I really injured or killed him what I would have done.

REMEMBER, when you see kids, SLOW DOWN!!!!

Comment

Runed over

I ran over a med. sized dog when I was 14. I was on my Suzuki 100MX. I hit our rural gravel road doing about 35mph. I hit the ground hard. I am glad I grew up riding dirt bikes (started at 8 yrs) I have had all the falling down I want.
              BTW the dog lived.
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Runned over

I ran over a med. sized dog when I was 14. I was on my Suzuki 100MX. I hit our rural gravel road doing about 35mph. I hit the ground hard. I am glad I grew up riding dirt bikes (started at 8 yrs) I have had all the falling down I want.
                BTW the dog lived.
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Uncle Ron hit a cow.

Wartime England. The Blackout. Midnight. No moon. Uncle Ron riding his BSA home from the airplane factory with the pathetic light from a masked Lucas headlight.
                  Wham! He wakes up in the ditch under a dead cow. Drags himself out from under, picks up his bent BSA (one handlebar bent up vertical, needs 3 left turns to go right)
                  Starts OK, rides home, goes in through the blackout curtains and Auntie Olwen goes into hysterics. Seems Uncle Ron hadn't noticed he was covered head to toe in beef blood.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The only thing I've RUN OVER lately is my wallet. I flattened her out real good LOL LOL. It's still winter here so it's part buying and work planning time.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

This sounds like a story, but I swear it's true. I was driving to my ship which happened to be in the Norfolk Naval Shipyard (your neck of the woods TC) down Tidewater Drive from Ocean View (nice neighborhood now adays but where young married Sailor had to live in the late 70's). Any hoo, I wasn't having the best of mornings. I saw a BLACK cat running across a schoolyard towards the street, right out in front of me. Thaaawaummp, yessir, I got him. I looked in my rear views to see where he came out. Two blocks go by and no cat. My car pool partner was looking out the right mirror. By now I am thinking about how hard it's gonna be to get dead cat out of my Capri. On the third block, there is another Thaawump and the cat comes out the right side of the car and takes off for cover. My car pool partner breaks into hysterical laughter. "What?" I ask. "I can see that cat on top of your right front tire, running like crazy yelling 'Feet, Don't fail me now!!!" he spills between gales of laughter.
                      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

owl

When i was younger my brother and i were riding at night when a large owl dove in front off me . my little brother was on back of my honda cb125 i ducked and the owl hit him right between the eyes broke his face shield off and blacked both his eyes it was pretty funny at the time...

Comment

Well, does smashing the sh** out of a bull elk and excursion count? I have hit plenty of squirrels on my bike. In our suburban, I ran over a rabbit last year. We have so many that they dart across the street for fun.
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

I ran over my glasses about 4 months ago. Fortunately I wasn't wearing them at the time.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Had a soccer mom in a mini-van want the lane I was in the other day. Almost ran her over with my '75 Power Wagon, does that count?
                              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X