Conspicuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conspicuity

I have begun using Scotchlite reflective gear on my commutes in the dark. I bought an eleaticized band that fits around the bottom edge of my helmet, an elasticized "vest" (really looks more like suspenders (braces, for the Brits), and had my wife sew Scotchlite trim down the legs of my chaps. I've also been thinking of adding LED marker-type lights on the sides of the bike. I know we're not very visible to Cage drivers, most of the time, but some areas of my commute take me through poorly lit residential areas, and I don't want "I didn't see him" to be someone's excuse for clipping me. Am I being paranoid, or has anyone else elevated their visibility?

Ralph

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean that their not after you.
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I wore a "helmet halo" or several years until it wore out, need to get another one. Thought it helped a great deal. Riding suit has the 3M ScotchLite sewn in. Bought a reflective vest, but don't use it often, mostly for snowmobile riding. (Many safety issues about being seen apply to snowmobiles as well as bikes.)

Several folks have added extra lighting to their bikes for added visability. Remember, though, that as much as these extras can help it is your skill, awareness, and common sense that is still the best defense against idiot cage drivers. A couple guys I work with, riders for many years, took the Advanced Motorcycle Safety course last summer and said it was the best thing they had done safety-wise in a long time.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Reflectors

I have put small strips of white reflector on the silver portion of the wheels on my bike. It looks like the reflectors on a kids bicycle wheel and it seems to get people's attention, seeing this swirling light going by.

Comment

I commute quite often at night on my XS. I wear a reflective vest, have installed reflective tape in strategic locations (including my helmet), and have installed "Tire Flys" (LED lights that mount on the valve stem replacing the valve caps).

I plan on using some of TC's latest revisions using the LED lights for tail and brakes. I also plan to mount a trunk that I purchased off e-bay and mount LED's in this as well.

I say give them every chance to see you.

Ride safe.
          Bob Udy

Comment

I pinstriped my red helment with red reflective pinstriping, dosent show during the day but really does at night. I also have added leds to my saddlebags and 4 additional light to the rear of the bike. Made a set of front turnsignals from my old Kawasaki fit on the the crash bars facing front. They come on when the bikes running, put a switch to the "turn signal" filiments so I can turn them on is the threat matrix gets me nervous. I still rely on cat like reflexes to bail me out. Ear shattering horns help to.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Yeah, I have a pair of Fiamm horns mounted, too.

Comment

Working...
              X