New article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New article

Hey there if anyone has a copy of the magazine motorcycle classic ,they had a few months ago a writeup on xs1100 ,we should have it scanned and copied and put in the article forum with the other story's ,,it probably the newest then that's been written.

Not on this site!

Uh, sorry but because it's a CURRENTLY published magazine, etc, there are COPYRIGHT laws and such that prevent this from being done PUBLICLY!

I know many members acquired the magazine, and they could probably scan or photo it, and then EMAIL it to someone? However, the magazine might also have back issue copies that they would be willing to sell, so you might contact them.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

yes i know the law ,,as long as it not being resold ,it not infringing on them laws.And we are not selling it here just making it available to read.

Comment

But i wouldn't want to get the forum in trouble ,it was just a newer write up .

Comment

It appears you don't know the law. The law does NOT allow what you are suggesting. Making money off it has nothing whatsoever to do with it, and the new changes to copyright law make it a felony rather than a civil issue or misdemeanor like it used to be, and the damages are now HUGE thanks to our friends the record companies and the movie studios. Being a software developer, copyright law is one of the things that I MUST keep up on, but as being able to defend myself, and being able to defend my work, and print work is protected exactly the same as electronic works. If a paragraph or so were quoted as part of an article, then that would fall under fair use, and you can STILL be sued/charged under copyright law and have to spend 1,000's defending yourself even if in the right, it's just not worth it. It's possible that if permission were asked to put an electronic reprint of the article on the site it MIGHT be granted, but that's not likely, but it's the ONLY way it could be done without a high likelyhood of someone ending up in court.

And yes, there are companies who do nothing else but LOOK for infringement of stuff like that. They typically get a finders fee for finding infringers who the copyright holder is able to stop/collect from in court.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Well things have changed sent i was in college then,,like i said i wouldnt want to get the forum in trouble .but can i ask is how do yahoo,cnn and places like that have articles from other magazines to explain stuff when they are reporting,just to asking

Comment

but can i ask is how do yahoo,cnn and places like that have articles from other magazines to explain stuff when they are reporting,just to asking
              The way they do it is pay for the right to re-print the article. They must also give credit for the article to the owner. If you are set up, and have the thousands of dollars to pay, it's no problemo. We are just a humble gang of misdirected old farts, so we aint got no money!
              Yes, it WOULD be nice to reprint here, but we live on handouts, NOT money from spammers and pop-ups.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

They do excerpts. They don't publish the entire article, or if they do it's by permission (or in some cases they are owned by the same company). News sites will typically have a short part of the article they are writing about, with a link to the full article, this is what fair use is about, you can quote a small part, but you can't just republish an entire article. This is not something that is new, however the penalties have become a lot more severe in the last few decades.

It's always been against the law to take anothers work and publish it without their permission, the exception being the fair use doctrine which allows you to use reasonable quotes from a work (generally considered to be a paragraph or so) in another work such as a book report or such other original work. There has also been a lot of stuff going on with fighting among the news sites, as aggregation sites such as Google and msn used to grab entire articles and let you read them on their sites. They got sued, and IIRC rather then actually end up with judgments against them they settled out of court where they now post a short summary and provide a link to the original article, and even that not all of the news sites are happy with, but being happy with and feeling they could win in court over the issue are different things.

The upshot is that you cannot take someones work (writing, painting, drawing etc) and copy it and give that copy to someone else without the person's permission. It doesn't matter if you do it for free or not, in the eye's of the law the damages are the same, as you have deprived the creator of the work of a potential sale. There are some specific rules involved that determine if the author can collect damages, but criminal charges can be filed in either case, and copyright exists at the moment of creation unless specifically stated in writing that copyright does not exist on the work (this is a change from 100 years ago when a work was only copyrighted if it was stated as such, where under current law it must be stated as being public domain to NOT be copyrighted. Some refer to some versions of public domain BTW as copyleft, where there actually is a copyright of sorts, to protect the product from being copyrighted by someone and taken away from the public in the process (which can often be done with a derivative work of a public domain product).

Enough about this, the simple point is, you can't do that, and at least as long as *I* have been alive you have not been able to legally do so (and I'm 53 years old). However, the movie studios and recording companies are working very hard to also take away fair use as well. If they had their way, you would have to pay for every time you listened to a file, read a book and watched any movie, even off a DVD, and it would only work on one DVD player too (they tried that back in the late 90's BTW, it was called divix, difference from the video format by the same name) it would lock a DVD to a single DVD player, and would even allow one to be played for only a certain number of days after the first play, or a certain number of times, or in theory forever. Lots of problems with the hardware, the disks and people refused to buy them, so it tanked, and was actually one of the things that spelled the beginning of the end for circuit city as they were one of the big corporate backers of it, and they lost money big time on it (had a contact on the inside, heard about it before it came out, and had updates as the thing tanked).
                Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Spade Fuse Box
                750 FD Mod
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Diverray said it short and sweet while I wrote a novella. He also probably typed more words per minute than I did at the same time.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

What month/year did the XS1100 appear in Motorcycle Classics? It's a great magazine if you like looking at and reading about old bikes.

Marty (in Germany)
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Review

Why not have someone with the article, do a review on it and post that here. If there was something of interest we don't aready know, or perhaps an inconsistency??? I'm sure that would pass the mustard as reviews are done and articles quoted all the time without infringement declarations.
                      mack
                      79 XS 1100 SF Special
                      HERMES
                      original owner
                      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                      SPICA
                      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                      IOTA
                      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                      Frankford, Ont, Canada
                      613-398-6186

Comment

it was the December/January issue,but thanks for everyone clearing up my mistake.

Comment

XS 1100 Article

Hi,

I get this magazine and I think the article we're talking about appeared in the in the January/February 2010. You can go to the Motorcycles Classics home page and in the search bar put Yamaha only and you'll get a list of articles on Yamaha,s scroll down till you find the XS1100. They'll allow you to read past articles for free. Here is the link to the specific article.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/mo...ha-xs1100.aspx

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork brace on )
                          79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Loud Pipes
                          Draw Cops

Comment

I have that issue somewhere, it's in the garage or packed up in with some books or something in a box of stuff that I threw together when I moved. I'll look around to see if I can find it, if someone wants to read it, [I] might be inclined to drop it in the mail or something. it might take me a while to find though, I did not pack my stuff in a terribly organized fashion. have a nice day and ride safe
                            I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

New Article and LINK created!

Hey Blkryno,

Thanks for the link, I "borrowed" the first paragraph from the article, described that it was from the Motorcycle Classics Mag, and also posted the link to the article, so that it's now IN our articles section. Thanks to everyone for their info and assistance, and now anyone can find it and read it!

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X