frozen piston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen piston?

Fellow xj/xs lovers,,,I just picked up an old kawi 400 and it doesnt turn over with the kick starter. I squeeze the clutch and it spins freely but no valve or piston action..I let out the clutch and it kicks very slow with a lot of resistance, the gears seem ok, just wondering if piston is stuck or easy way to diagnose and somewhere I read that if it is stuck to pour something in to loosen up the rings....any info. is greatly appreciated, Mike in sundiego, yes I do have a greeeat xj 1100 maxim.
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Pull the plugs and see if the pistons are going up and down. If they are, then you don't have a stuck piston so look elsewhere for the problem. To free up a stuck(siezed) piston, diesel fuel, or automatic transmission fluid works pretty good. Pour some thru each spark plug hole and let it sit for a day or so. Doesn't always work, I had one I had to take the head off and break the piston loose with hammer, but it's worth a try.
    Last edited by xssiveone; 11-24-2003, 09:56 AM.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Re: frozen piston?

It worked thanks to Brian and advice, the piston loosened up well with tranny fluid overnight and juggling the flywheel bolt back and forth....so now for the work to restore it so it can sit alongside my other 3 bikes. And never enough time to ride as often as the san diego weather lets me......However, the xj is still the king of the hill, but I couldnt stand to see another bike, neglected and left to die by the P.O.,,,,,ride on.....Mike in Sun Diego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Working...
      X