Storm Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Surfing

At midnight last night I just couldn’t stand it anymore…I have been so busy lately that the only riding I have been doing is commuting. Pretty sad considering the gorgeous and balmy weather we have had for the past weeks.

The Dragon was calling.

Got to go. Got to go now! Must go fast! Ride! Fly! Be free!

We had 30-40 mph winds out of the south all day. Even at midnight, 35mph winds and 72 degrees. Balmy. The news said to expect a blue northern late this night or early in the morning. A true cold front, they were saying it was going to turn the 35mph south winds on their ear and be blowing 35-40 out of the north within minutes of the front’s arrival. KaWhoosh!

I stepped outside into the warm winds and my soul cried. If you are a motorcycle rider…as opposed to just a motorcycle owner…there is no way that you can NOT ride on a night like this. I bungied my heavy leather jacket and gloves on the back seat, and took off into the night winds in nothing more than a t-shirt, jeans, and light leather riding gloves. I grabbed a pair of clear wrap around glasses and left the helmet stabbed onto the backrest.

Safe was not a demand of my soul tonight.

Riding the winds north was pure pleasure. The brisk tailwind made the ride calm, quiet, and smooth. The temperature was perfect and as the speeds increased my soul began to sing.

A few waves of clouds would briefly obscure the view, but mostly the sky was clear, the stars were intense, and I could see the universe spread out in amazing detail above the highway. This night the atmosphere was so clear I could see galactic clouds with the naked eye.

The Dragon, the universe, the winds, and the road all singing in a mysterious and glorious harmony. I suddenly realize that only I knew the words. Traveling outside the mundane world, time was irrelevant and the miles melted quickly away. Truly this is a rare and privileged experience and it alters the perception of the world around me to an astonishing degree. I have always been able to see and experience more than others…the world is magic and just waiting for a willing mind to see it. Tonight I learned even more.

I made it over 200 miles before hitting the approaching front. Within 2 miles the wind turned and began roaring to the south. The song crumbled to chaos and I was startled to discover that there is beauty and pattern even in the chaotic transition from one song to a new one.

I grabbed a snack and a coke and relaxed a bit, and then I donned my jacket and turned The Dragon to the south. The leading bulge of the front was actually much farther to the west than I was, and that had the interesting effect that from my location and direction, I was on an angled edge as it moved south and spread east. Because of the widening as it moved south and my location, from my perception the front was moving at over 60 mph.

Southbound I was, surfing the storm front at over 60 mph and feeling no wind at all! The only noise the rumble of The Dragon, the sound of the tires on the road, and the singing of the universe.

I stared wide-eyed in wonder at the vivid stars and absorbed that astounding, overwhelming music. Shortly I leaned the patterns of this new song and joined in, throwing my entire being, down to the core of my soul, into the melody. Perception alters, the universe, The Dragon, and I merge, dance, part, and merge again…each time the distinction between the beings becoming less pronounced. Soon we are one with each other, and when it becomes necessary to part, we will each carry a part and an awareness of the other forever.

I arrived home on the winds, and reluctantly parked the massive Valkyrie in her place in the garage. Totally spent, the intimacy of this experience having drained me completely, I stumbled to bed and immediately fell into slumber. This was not the end of my experience though.

I dreamed! And what dreams! With the song I can see it all, the stars, planets, and the interaction between the physical and magical planes. I study, I learn, and I absorb. And still the song is in my head.

I have been truly honored this night. I sang to the universe, and it answered enthusiastically.

Millions eyed the approaching front with annoyance, seeing it as no more than a change to our beautiful weather of the past few days.

As for me? I found a chance to play in the winds, to surf without an ocean near, and to plug into the cosmic music that holds it all together. Again I know…truly the journey IS the destination.

Life is a Road…

CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    http://lifeisaroad.home.comcast.net

CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Nice story..

I C U got the dragon back from the recall with an engine installed...LOL...just kiddin...I know the feeling you described...I love to ride at night here in Alabama but you must be careful not to run into a deer...they are everywhere out at night feeding on the grassy shoulders of the highways....of course with gun season opening up this last weekend for deer they will be harder to spot....cold front moved in last night....heavy soaking rains 46 degree high today and low 24 degrees tonite...if it stops raining I will go out for a ride in the woods....at least the dang box turtles are gone for the year....I hit one this summer and did a hard tank slapper....didn't hurt the turtle but I had to pull over and walk it off...
    Terry O'Donnell
    81SH "BullDozer"
    Holy Riders Motorcycle Ministries
    [URL]www.holyriders.com[/URL]
    [URL]www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HRMC/[/URL]

Comment

It is stories such as this that make me wish I was back in Florida and able to ride year round. Here in the high desert of Idaho... the snow is flying today and I had to put baggies over the exhaust tips to keep the flying snow out while "Flashback" is still parked out in front of the house. This morning I awoke to sun streaming into my bedroom window and I glanced outside at a nearly cloudless sky. I began to have daydreams about taking off for at least a moderate cruise.... but..... as I took a shower and dressed for the day... the weather took a severe turn for the worse. When I was done.... I stepped out onto the front porch and was met by icy winds, a completely overcast sky and flying snow. What I saw gave NEW meaning to the old saying about our weather..... "IF you don't like the weather... just wait an hour.... it will change.".

When I lived in Florida.... the only thing I had to contend with was the infamous "afternoon monsoon".... that in the summer.... you could almost set your watch by.
      1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

FL

I knew there was a reason I lived in Florida!
        Walt
        80 XS11s - "Landshark"
        79 XS11s
        03 Valkyrie
        80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
        78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
        81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Eloquent as always Daniel. Press on!
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic