Tire Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Pressure

I was wondering how often folks check their tire pressure.
    Daily
    0.00%
    Weekly
    31.71%
    Bi-Weekly
    24.39%
    Monthly
    26.83%
    When they feel squishy
    17.07%
    When I change them
    0.00%
    Never
    0.00%
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

I usually check all the fluids, tire and fork pressure about once a month.

It all gets checked before and during a lengthy trip also, naturally.
    Last edited by BA80; 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I adjust mine monthly. Sometimes more frequently if I notice it's harder to push back out of the garage, feels weird when cornering, or follows the cracks in the road.
      Richard
      '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
      '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Your supposed to put air in them? I just put the air in my forks and figured it would find its way down there....
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

I check my tires about 4 times a year. Once at each oil change, and once in between each oil change. I never see anything more than a 3-5 lb. drop in that time frame. On longer trips I check more though, just to be sure.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Before any trip that is going to use a full tank of gas, and every morning when on the road on a multi-day excursion.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

not enuff.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I check mine about every two weeks when I am riding heavy but my tires hold pressure very well in the warmer months. Of course during the colder months when I ride less I check less. I find I usually have to add air every time during Winter but never more then a couple of pounds..
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I check mine at least twice a week, voted for once a week. It doesn't take more than 3 minutes to check both, never know when you might have picked up a nail.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

kick the tires twice on occassion.........twice to just make sure I get the same sound twice......
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I check mine whenever. usually at least once a month if not more.

But I run 40 psi in mine cause I just like flirting with death that way.
                      If I lose a few pounds then its not really an issue.
                      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I generally check weekly, same time I check both cages. Part of my Saturday morning routine. Check oil levels, tire pressures, and for the cages, washer fluid levels. Also do a general inspection, looking for leaks, loose wires, any obvious defects. This is also the time I wash vehicles. I'll clean the tops of the batteries at the same time and check for corrosion at the terminals.

I do keep a maintenance log for my vehicles, including oil and filter changes, air filter changes, tire rotation for the cages, other items like new brake pads installed, new battery installed, new tires, any service that needed to be done. Logs for the cages includes all mileages and gas fill-ups, including amount of gas and price. For a hoot I can go back a few years and see what I was paying for gas 'back when'. For the bike the log is mostly "start of trip" and "end of trip" mileages rather than the day-to-day of the cage records.

The numbers give me true cost of running the vehicles as well as a predictor of when the next service needs to be done.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Late one night last month he wanted to go riding around. I told him it was ok just to take his cell phone (he only 16). About ten min later I get a call from him. He said the front tire lost its bead while he was cornering, luckily he was not going very fast and kept it from going down.

His font tire has the words "Harley Davidson" on the it, so it seems the Harley tire and XS11 rim don't like each other much
                          Right now I'm riding his bike to and from work (all three of my bikes are out of commission for a while) and I check the pressure once a week with a gauge but check it with my hand to see if it is any "softer" before I ride.
                          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                          X