78 Minutes of Summer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 Minutes of Summer...

I know that those of you that are baking in the current heat wave in the midwest/east would wish for this, but I saw a news item today that one of the local TV stations calculated that the Seattle/Puget Sound area has only had 78 minutes of summer so far...

This is based on time the temp gets to/goes above 80 degrees. It's been unseasonably cool/wet so far for sure....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

I have been spending a good bit of time in Seattle on the job. I can't say I like it. I did manage to get in a mostly nice day of sailing on the sound with friends. I was wearing what would be a winter jacket at home. It's always good to return to the sunny South. It is a bit cooler here in the mountains, but I'm sure still too hot for many.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

ridin on

Lucky u! sure is bikin hot in Chicago!
      Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
      Kerker 4/1
      stock carbs and air box.
      78 headlite, handle bars,
      1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
      crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
      78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
      94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Seattle

I'd take some of that weather about now!! Can't wait til August!!
        78 XS1100E Standard
        Coca Cola Red
        Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Yeah, I lived in and near Seattle off and on for several years. I found it quite beautiful but the seemingly constant drizzle and rain put me off.

I love visiting but I couldn't live there. Down here we have 2 months of sometimes unbearable heat in the summer and maybe a month of cold in the winter but 9 months of pretty fair riding, or anything, weather mostly.

Upper 70s is good riding though, as long as it don't rain.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Upper 70s is good riding though, as long as it don't rain.
            If you're acclimated to the temps, anything above low 60s without rain is fine riding weather, you just wear a few more clothes. Personally, I like it in the 70s, as I can wear all the gear without being hot and sweaty. Above 80, it's getting too warm... I remember going to San Diego years ago at new years, and I'm walking around in a t-shirt getting strange looks while the natives were wearing coats, so it can defintely be relative....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

We're into our 8th straight day in 90's with a forecast of possible 100 on Thursday. This is with 85o/o humidity.

Be fun to take a ride but I'm afraid I'll have to sit at a red light!
              Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
              stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I know some of you guys in the mid-west are having a heat wave right now and I feel for ya. But down here in South America (Louisiana) we manage to have 78 minutes of Summer in just about any given hour here.

I mean, when you pray for a small hurricane or tropical storm just so you can get a break from the heat, its HOT!
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
                  I know some of you guys in the mid-west are having a heat wave right now and I feel for ya. But down here in South America (Louisiana) we manage to have 78 minutes of Summer in just about any given hour here.

I mean, when you pray for a small hurricane or tropical storm just so you can get a break from the heat, its HOT!
                  We're hoping that small hurricane will come up the Arkansas river and cool us off here in Oklahoma!
                  US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
                  1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
                  1985 Super Glide
                  2012 Super Glide

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
                    We're hoping that small hurricane will come up the Arkansas river and cool us off here in Oklahoma!
                    That aint no lie! Yesterday, the DJ on the radio was giving the forcast for the week, and said it was going to cool off this weekend, only 101 saturday and sunday! I don't even remember what 90 degree temps feel like, and rain, does anyone remember what that stuff is? We have no ponds left out here!
                    Richard
                    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                    '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

I will NOT whine - - -

- - - about Saskatoon's current 31ºC (feels like 39ºC) mid-day temperatures because at least you don't have to shovel sunshine off your sidewalk, eh?
                      I will admit that last night my wife and I chose to sleep in the basement room that our son used before he moved out.
                      It's ~10ºC cooler down there but Gawd! that bed was hard. Seems that by buying that bed we'd taken a step to drive our little darlin' out without even knowing about it.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                      X