Member goes down, minor injuries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member goes down, minor injuries...

Seems Smash had a run-in with some cages...... All you can do is prepare for the wreck.....
    Yep folks, after 150k+ miles riding motorcycles since 2003 it happened to me this afternoon at 4pm.

First off: I AM OK. Really. The gear did it's job. The helmet took a blow, as did my jacket and my pants are pretty much toast. I can't tell you how much my gear saved me from excruciating pain and a one way ticket to the ER. Not one INCH of my skin touched pavement.

Finished up an afternoon ride with my friend Ditch, he went straight at the light to head home, I went right on highway 93 to go home. Crested the 60mph 3 lane road (1 lane my direction, 2 the other way) following 2 other cars and found stopped traffic ahead. 1st car stopped barely in time. 2nd car stopped within 2 inches of the 1st car (the skid marks left are amazing). Me? Well, I could either go into 60mph oncoming traffic to the left, or a tree on the right. I chose the bumper of a silver Suzuki Grand Vitara. Lets just say I got really intimate with his spare tire carrier....

The bike? It was rocketed across traffic and came to rest on the hill on the other side of the road. Thank GOD it didn't hit anyone. It's salvageable, albeit as a street fighter. It is not leaking any fluid. Fairings are toast, I can't find any problems with the frame. I am hoping the forks are straight but will check those out very closely. Gauges are ok, I think. My headlight, front fairing and bulbs completely exploded, I remember being happy I had my visor down as the shards tried to attack my face.

Time did not slow down for me. It was VERY fast. My friend Todd said, "you must not have crashed right," (LOL) as most wreck stories I've heard folks say time slows down.

The driver of the Suzuki I hit was fine, although I damaged his spare tire cover, his bumper and made such a dent in his rear cargo door he couldn't open it. He was understanding, kind and sincerely concerned for my well being. Several times he said, "I don't know what else you could have done" and asked me atleast 4 times "are you sure you're ok?"

I remember every millisecond. I remember making a decision to hit the bumper. I remember sliding on my back along the double yellow center line and rolling away from oncoming traffic as soon as I could. I remember once I got out of oncoming traffic doing a quick check of all my limbs, back and lungs. I remember as soon as I knew I was ok, I made sure the scene was safe. I remember a lot of things. My prior emergency and outdoor medical training paid off.

Yes, I was checked out by paramedics and deemed fine to go home. I have no soreness in my head, neck or shoulders. Am sore on my lower back and arse where I hit the pavement, left ankle and knee swollen but load bearing on my left side (hit the handlebars? not sure). I'm expecting a lot of soreness in the morning.

In 7 days Karla and I are supposed to leave for a HUGE gathering of friends in North Carolina. Not sure about this. I have generous offers from Ditch and Swivel to use their Honda Sabre 1100s, a bike I used to own. There are a lot of things to consider here. I promise to make the best decision possible.

Spent the evening with Karla, Outlaw and Cricket who graciously picked up the tab for dinner and beverages at our favorite New Mexico cuisine joint. Thank you.

A HUGE thank you to Ditch for checking his phone and coming to give me company along the side of the road. To Outlaw and Cricket for driving an hour with their truck to pick up the bike. To Karla, for NOT panicking and showing me every ounce of love I needed. And absolutely a huge thank you to the state patrol officer, 2 firefighters and 2 paramedics who promptly arrived on scene to make sure I was ok. My hats off to those guys.

Back at home, cleaned up the accident site as best I could before my friends arrived.

Radiator, not leaking

Shifter

Now this picture is rather spectacular. I made this dent. Really. My body made this huge dent in the tank. That was NOT there before. Outlaw put it perfectly, "dude, you've got balls of steel!!"

Ditch and Outlaw helping unloading all the pieces....

with a group of cages....
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Glad to hear your OK Brant. The bike can be repaired.

I'll tell you one thing though, what don't hurt now WILL by tuesday.

If I can help with anything I will. Let me know
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

glad you are OK

All that riding time paid off as you made the right decision.

Hope you feel better soon.

Which bike was Smash?

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Glad your ok.

I'm not seeing any pictures.

Take care and heal fast!

Ozz
        Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
        Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
        Pod Filters
        DynoJet Kit
        T.C.'s Fuse Block
        Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
        Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

All, Smash was the one in the wreck, not I. I just got this off the ST site. That be STowners.com See the pics didn't show, but was just some of his Ninja's tupperware pieces and pic of the scoot. Apparently ATGATT litterally saved his hide and likely life too! We'll just have to advise Karla to keep him off the XJ........
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Got ya!

Glad to hear that he is ok.

I believe in ATGATT, this shows that its worth it $$$ for proper gear.
            Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
            Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
            Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Smash was the one in the wreck, not I.
              Alright, your post wasn't to clear. Glad HE'S ok.

I hope you stub your toe or something.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Is this the Smash and Karla from Denver?
                They were just over this AM, Sun, 6-17 for some carb tweaking. Left about noon.
                Whoo ah whaa uh humm? CZ

Comment

_Is this the Smash and Karla from Denver?
                  The one and the same.......

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    _Is this the Smash and Karla from Denver?
                    The one and the same.......
                    Yikes! Glad you're all okay!

It wasn't clear at first who smashed/crashed so I agree with Greg and hope you chip a fingernail or something and Smash has a fun ride to the Carolinas!
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X