MY 81 XS1100 is Smashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 81 XS1100 is Smashed

ON NOV. 01,2003 I was CUTOFF by a cab . I am waiting for the INS. to finish befor i start to tear it down to the frame to see if I can fix it. I HOPE I CAN BECAUSE THIS IS WHATS LEFT OF THE MOTORCYCLE I MET THE LOVE OF MY LIFE ON . THE MOTORCYCLE HAS BEEN A GREAT ENJOYMENT IN OUR LIVES . I am sorry but I can't seem to post a picture of my bike . faring,tripletree,forks,trunk ,saddle bags ,front rim,oil cooler,handelbars,and most of the electric system are gone.

Sorry to hear that, crashing sucks.....you seem to be OK (only assuming since you are worried about the bike and not yourself.) Remember that is what is really important. Send me the photos and I can post them for you.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Nov. 1 must have been a bad day. My son, Dave Jr., and myself went for a ride. He was riding my 81 Special, while I was on my 78 Standard. We were heading west on 120, same route we took at XSEast. About 7 miles east of The Willows he failed to make a curve. The bike is all but totaled. He seperated his collar bone from the shoulder bone. Lost a weeek of work, but is doing better now. I want to find a replacement for the bike. It would be cheaper than replacing everything that is broke/bent. SWMBO says, "No more bikes!" What she doesn't know won't hurt me.

Glad you are well enough to let us know.
      Highlander

Comment

I have handle bars from a standard. You may have them if you want them.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Strider, glad you are OK. I learned to ride in NJ 30+ years ago. Where are you? My brother was hit 3 times on bikes in NJ. Last one got his right leg for the 2nd time and kept him out of the Navy. I had many close calls there, never got hit though. Too many intersections and too many people in too much of a hurry who just don't give a s**t.

Dave, let me know if you need any help.
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

And I thought I was the only one having bad luck.
            Monday November 3th at just after 6AM my car and a deer meet their Waterloo. I am very glad I was driving the car and not on the bike or I would not be here to type this out. Both air bags went off.

I just got a small bruise on my arm.

Any body else have a oops?
            Tom
            2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
            gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Hmmm...air bags and car driving? Don't you own an FJR????? Sure I had an ooops, 10/20 on my Bandit, poorly designed corner+semi truck=oops. Bike was put directly back into service .
              Gary Granger

Comment

Unless you have a big RAY of sunshine around your house I would think your riding is almost done for another year.

I have been too busy to ride and of course the weather has not been very helpful.
                Tom
                2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

I have a giant ray of Crapshine parked over the house right now, check the news, it is there from November to April , I might be able to sneak the Bandit out in the afternoon on Thursday for a ride. Should be nice after the rain stops. New bike is insured but would have to drive an hour to get it.
                  Gary Granger

Comment

Strider, that SUCKS!!
                    I am glad that you seem to have only lost the bike, and not anything permanent, (like you!!)
                    I can't help with the luggage, but I have most of the other stuff that you mentioned.
                    If you want to handle the freight from the left coast, and maybe float my son a few bucks for dis-assembling a couple parts bikes, I can offer the tripple tree, forks, and probably any electrical components that were lost.
                    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for All the Info I Will Keep It All In Mind , Right Now I Am Waiting for the Ins. Company To Do What They Must. I am Ok Just A FEW Major Bruises That Will Take Time To heel.

Comment

Working...
                      X