H4 55/60 watt Halogen Head Lamp bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 55/60 watt Halogen Head Lamp bulb

Ok is a 9003 halogen a suitable replacement for the H4???? I see adds that say 9003 can be replaced with H4 but not sure???? I understand that if I increase in wattage I steal power from the whole system....I went to LED in brake lights and want to use 1156 LED in flashers but I will need to change the flasher unit as well???? I want to use the LEDs in the flashers and also change out the #67's in the fairing to allow for more wattage in the Head Lamp...any suggestions....
    Terry O'Donnell
    81SH "BullDozer"
    Holy Riders Motorcycle Ministries
    [URL]www.holyriders.com[/URL]
    [URL]www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HRMC/[/URL]

Hey there Terry,

From what I've read, the 9003 and H4 are interchangeable. They also make an 80/100 watt combo to really light things up!!

As for the 1156/7 styled LED's for your turn signals, they won't work very well, because the leds are aimed straight away from the base of the bulb, which is NOT the direction the light needs to come from in the Turn Signal housing to be seen. The housing has a nice reflecting surface inside which helps to amplify the standard bulbs, but the LED's are very directional!! I'm working on replacing my turn signal with yellow LED's that I found, they won't be as bright as the OEM 1156's, but will still work, have to do a bit of wiring and glueing to fit them inside the turn signal stalk, but they will work and still look OEM!! At least for the round turn signals, if you've got square, then you would need to get a different shape, they come in rectangle as well as round!

Yes, the electronic 2 prong flasher works just fine, already tested it in mine with an LED in place, worked great!!! I'll be making a tech tip for the XS11.com FORUM, complete with pictures and Web site, model #'s and such!

So far, they don't make/didn't have a running/turn signal combo light in Amber/yellow, just marking lights, so not sure about what you can do for your fairing? But you can run LED's in the back, and standard in the front, the electronic flasher doesn't care, it worked with that same combo on mine, since I had only fixed one turn signal, and wanted to test the flasher!!

HTH, T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Electronic flasher

Ok the flasher is under the right side cover by fuse panel? Will I lose the self cancel function of turn signals?
      Terry O'Donnell
      81SH "BullDozer"

Comment

Re: Electronic flasher

Originally posted by kkrazyt85
        Ok the flasher is under the right side cover by fuse panel? Will I lose the self cancel function of turn signals?
        Yes you will lose the self cancelling feature if you put in a standard 2 prong automotive flasher.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

For the side marker lamps in the fairing...
          I'm looking at the LED marker lamps. They have 15 LEDs, 3 rows of 5. They come in amber and red and are 'stick-on'. They look like they are the same size as the lens of the marker light. I'm going to take the bulb out of my marker light, run the LED wires through the chrome bezel, and stick the LED lamp on the surface of the original bezel. Should look like the original set-up with the LED function. I'm guessing that 15 LEDs draw less tham one #55 standard bulb.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

turn signal flasher

Ok I am confused....the flasher unit next to my fuse panel has 3 wires and is rectangular...is this the turn signal flasher??? an earlier reply said I could replace the old unit with a electronic unit with 2 wires??? I looked at flashers in advance auto and they have the 2 wire and several 3 wire models...whicjh do I need??? HELP...my clymer manual shows a pic of the flasher and it is round???
            Terry O'Donnell
            81SH "BullDozer"

Comment

Buy the two wire model. The third one is for the cancellation feature.
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Hey there Terry,

Yes, the OEM flasher is rectangular, and has three prongs, but unless you want to pay $85.00 from Yamaha for a replacement, then you get the (2)TWO prong only, and plug it into the left and bottom slot as you look at the female part of the plug:

this one=> [ _ ] <=NOT THIS ONE
                and this one/\

You will loose the self cancelling feature, but otherwise, they will work perfectly, especially if you get the Electronic kind if you are going to add LEDs, but you can use the THERMAL kind if you are staying with the OEM 1141/1156 bulbs!

Our bikes have 2 flashers, the one under the right side panel IS the turn signals, the second one under the seat on the left side above the battery is the round one, and it's for the EMERGENCY flashers, and it is only a round 2 prong one!

T.C.

Pat, yes, your LED marker lights only draw about 0.03amps ea., vs. the 0.75amps each the 1156 draw at 8watts. But what I was wondering, was I thought the lights on your fairing were both marker/running and turn signals? Do you have separate turn signals? The LED marker lights will blink if you put them on a blinking circuit, but your front running/turn signals used separate lines for each function with an 1157 dual filament bulb...didn't they??

Now, if your running lights are the same single filament type bulbs, and they change from running to blinking when you use your turn signals, then you'll have it made!!!??? Cause your LED marker lights will be able to do both also, if it's wired that way!!??
                T.C. PS Stay tuned for the upcoming tech tip!
                Last edited by TopCatGr58; 11-15-2003, 09:36 PM.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks

On my 81SH with pacifico fairing the turn signals in the front of the fairing are turn/running lights (1034 12vdc 23/8W)....the side lights in the fairing use 1895 they are running lights and flash alternately with the front blinker lights...So I know to buy the electronic flasher unit with 2 prongs.....and this should fix the slow or no flash at all problem when uder 1600 RPM I was told....they said the flasher would blink at the same speed regardless of engine RPM.....Dang what happened to the good ole days when all you needed was a shade tree, hammer, crescent wrench, black tape and a six pack to work on anything??? Wait, my bike is one from the good ole days...not like my 99 ford ranger that has 14 miles of hoses under the hood and something for a motor that resembles a snow blower more than a V6 3.0L engine...
                  Terry O'Donnell
                  81SH "BullDozer"

Comment

Working...
                  X