Help!!!!!!!! brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!!!!! brake fluid

I had a brake fluid leak that dripped over my tank and leather jacket. Did not realize it was brake fluid for 2 days. I have been washing it down with soap and water and fantastic and soap and water etc.... can still see drip lines on the tank. What can I do to save the original paint job on the tank and my leather jacket?
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

If it's factory paint your trying to save and the paint was not damaged your likely going to need to have a fresh coat of clear coat applied. It may be just the clear coat that came off.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

that sucks,
      if uve rinsed the brake fluid off with water then uve
      probably only have the stain left, if it hasnt lifted the paint,
      u might be able to buff and polish the tank and see how that goes other than that youll have to repaint.
      i dont think there would be much else u could do, im sure if there
      is others will chime in soon.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

What about my 28 year old Hein Gericke leather jacket?
        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

ive got no idea what it will do to leather.

i know b.walker5 (brian) knows a bit about leather,
          might not hurt sending him a pm and see how that goes.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
            ive got no idea what it will do to leather.

i know b.walker5 (brian) knows a bit about leather,
            might not hurt sending him a pm and see how that goes.
            Thanks anyway.
            I made a concoction of baking soda and water semi paste let it sit and rinsed it off with a hose.
            Will see what it looks like in the am. As far as the tank goes it looks as if just the clear coat got damaged. I am going to wax and polish the daylights out it.
            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

No help with the jacket, but you might try some Mequire's Fine-Cut Cleaner from your local automotive paint store(not Wally-World and such). My sidecovers are the only thing I've repainted, and did it with automotive paint but with no catylist. When pulling tank and had a bit of gas run down the covers from the fuel lines when I disconected them causing a dull streak where it ran. Got a bottle of the FineCutCleaner and tried it. Work perfect, removed the dull streaks and left cover evenly shiney again........JAT, and a cheap fix to-boot!
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

IDK what color you jacket is but you might want to try washing it with some saddle soap. Neatsfoot oil is a conditioner but, try it on a discreet area first as it will darken it... Any horse tac shop should carry it, they might be more helpfull.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Some rubbing compound and then a good waxing will take care of it. That works well on my rattle can paint job, it should work like a charm on OEM paint.

Take the jacket to the leather cleaners if it means that much to you, they can work wonders.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                    IDK what color you jacket is but you might want to try washing it with some saddle soap. Neatsfoot oil is a conditioner but, try it on a discreet area first as it will darken it... Any horse tac shop should carry it, they might be more helpfull.

That should sort it out. Brake fluid isn't going to damage the leather, but may bleach the dye, depending on how its tanned and coloured in the first place. Not sure i'd recommend the baking soda but if you've rinsed well you shouldn't have any problem with it.

The trick with leather is to keep it lubricated with natural oils. (neatsfoot oil) Just like our own skin it needs to breath but also needs oil to keep it flexible. Synthetic products that block the pores are bad as they seal the surface and allow the leather to dry out underneath, which causes cracking, and allows water to soak in, and kill the natural waterproofing.

Leathers that store, and leak water in the rain have been treated wrong... period.
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                    X