What a rip-off!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a rip-off!!

I recently sold an exhaust on ebay and was shocked today when I received a statement for my fees. Feebay now want 9% of the final price!! It cost me $27 to sell an exhaust for under $300!! I still can't believe it. Talk about a about a price gouging monopoly.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Ebay

Yeah I know what you mean, that really sucks!!
    78 XS1100E Standard
    Coca Cola Red
    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

They got you, because where else are you going to go? All potential competitors have failed.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        They got you, because where else are you going to go? All potential competitors have failed.
        iOffer.com is a competitor that has been around for awhile. Must say though I just had a TERRIBLE experience with that site.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

By "failed", I mean they've failed to generate any interest approaching that of eBay. I shop eBay, and I admit that I usually don't look anyplace else.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            By "failed", I mean they've failed to generate any interest approaching that of eBay. I shop eBay, and I admit that I usually don't look anyplace else.
            I look mainly on ebay, but I really do look around and have used quite a few other auction sites but ebay is the main one of course. There are some really great deals that you can find if your willing to look into the other auction site options.

With ebay screwing so many people nowdays it is slowly killing itself by driving all of its sellers away.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

IMO, it's not that they are driving all the sellers away. The problem is that they have changed their formatting to cater to the corporate sellers. What used to be a giant online garage sale, where the idea of paying full price was simply obsurd, has now changed to just another online storefront for many companies. The little guys just can't afford to pay the fees and deal with the rating system that considers anything less than 5 stars a failing grade, for which, a seller can be banned from the site!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

On top of taking your 9% of the sale price. Ebay Also owns/Co-owns Paypal so they get another 3-5% outta you there so its just a rip-off

Comment

Originally posted by my79is2bad View Post
                  On top of taking your 9% of the sale price. Ebay Also owns/Co-owns Paypal so they get another 3-5% outta you there so its just a rip-off
                  Not co-owns, they outright own it, it's a wholly owned subsidiary.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I used to go to Ebay for stuff because you used to be able to find ridiculous deals there. But greed took over as usual and drove the prices up. Now it seems that I can just go to an actual store and find products cheaper. Amazon is another site like that but I do find my school books there a lot cheaper than the college store.
                    1980 XS1100G
                    -4:2 exhaust
                    -Pods
                    -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Craigslist... that's all I'm going to say...
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

While you can't find the smokin deals you used to find, you can still find deals that can be a little hard to find locally, only because the pool is larger. I always try local first, and then craigslist, and only then do I look on ebay for stuff that I can't find either locally or on craigslist. Yes your dealing with larger shops these days, but in some cases the smaller shops can't be bothered with the lower quantity stuff anymore so your kinda stuck with the mega yards. I'm a little lucky in having one of the large MC wrecking yards in town, and even they are a bit limited, and what the charge to go out and find a part they don't have I don't even want to talk about. The other one doesn't even deal for the most part in anything but British and HD stuff.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

and what the charge to go out and find a part they don't have

Cy,

Is that the yard that is always on Craig's list looking for parts?
                          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

We have the same thing happening here with our local site Trademe.co.nz It was started by a couple of students who were looking for cheap furniture for their apartment, and was limited to private sellers. 7 years later it was bought by Fairfax Media for 700 million. now its open to anyone and the corporate's are taking over. Prices are going up, fee's are going up, private sellers are getting less, and Fairfax (aka Rupert Murdoch) recently announced that it was for sale again if someone wanted to pay more than 1.2 billion.

Same story with many businesses though, start small and grow, sell out to a corporate, greed takes over and they price themselves out of the average mans market. People loose interest, the corporate looses profits for their investors, try to sell to appease investors, collapse and die.

In the meantime the average man has started another business (craigslist) and the cycle starts again.
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

The deals are on Craig's list. Back when I was a seller on Ebay I would buy on craigslist and sell on ebay. The deals are still out there it just takes a little more work/risk.
                              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                              79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                              X