helmet laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helmet laws

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

___
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

[QUOTE=slow mo;332383]ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

First and foremost, condolences go out to his family and friends. Second for all of us, who oppose such laws, we have all suffered a setback through this unfortunate accident. I will not practice figure 8’s in a parking lot without a helmet yet I am against any law that restricts our free choice. In the seventies, Arizona repealed the helmet law. At a traffic light in Yuma while riding my ’74 Superglide, another Harley rider pulled up next to me and cussed me out for setting the wrong example by wearing a helmet. I asked him if it was a case of no brain, no pain. His answer was, “Huh?”
    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
    Braded stainless brake lines
    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
    Vetter Windjammer III faring
    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
    James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

O heard this story on all the local and national news shows as their "joke/funny" story. Very sad though.

I will say that I disagree greatly with helmet, seatbelt, and Amy other law like it. Although I will always wear a helmet and seatbelt. That is my choice because I think they are a great tool.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i posted this sad but true tale for information purposes only if you know me i believe in safe riding at all times agatt! ride safe ,,slow mo!
        The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
        moemcnally@hotmail.com
        i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I too oppose helmet and seatbelt laws, but always wear both a helmet and seatbelt and did and would even without the law requiring them. I remember in Az in the Army when many of my buddies would pull up to the front gate of the base and have to put their helmet on to continue I would just ride through having my helmet on already. Those fools would also stop on their way out and take their helmet off. I've always figured to survive a getoff, and one way to increase my chances is to protect my head from impact damage as much as possible.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I know the medical system in the States is different than Canada, but the way I see it, if you want to ride without a helmet or a seat belt, that's up to you. But if you get into an accident, don't expect the health care system to pay for any of your medical expenses.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by forexbob View Post
              I know the medical system in the States is different than Canada, but the way I see it, if you want to ride without a helmet or a seat belt, that's up to you. But if you get into an accident, don't expect the health care system to pay for any of your medical expenses.
              Now THERE is a real touchy subject around here right now.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Seat belts?

Damn guys!
                My bike doesn't even have seat belts!
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                X