Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage restoration "take one"

For what it's worth...........

Well, my emails to Samsonite have gone unanswered. I suspect they don't waste their time unless they have something to gain.

I tried two different products on the test "case". A Bondo product called RESTORE BLACK and Mothers Back-to-Black. I found both of them at the local Pep Boys.

This is the front side of the case. I decided to try the BONDO product on the front and the Mothers on the back.

This is after the first aplication of the BONDO product. The RESTORE BLACK has an open cell foam applicator pad included and there are specific instructions to wear rubber gloves. Clean-up is soap and water. I tried scrubbing the surface with a wet rag after it had dried for about 15 minutes and nothing came up.

You can see a thin spot to the right of center and a little streak bottom center. It was covered by a second application.

Instructions say the surface needs to be cool. There is nothing cool around Lodi right now so warm had to do. The aplication of the BONDO was pretty easy. It comes out of the bottle something like a black yogurt. It seems to be a surface coating rather than soaking into the surface. It left little "Lines" in the finish when I tried to stretch it to far.

The back of the case had some issues. I cleaned the entire case with hot water/ Dawn soap before I applied either coating. All of the pics are of the case after washing.

Applied finish with a soft towel. A foam applicator like the BONDO kit would have worked better and wasted less.

So far I think it is a toss-up. I like the way the BONDO product goes on but it is tougher to be neat around the edges. Tape would speed up treating the edges. The Mothers strikes me as a heavy duty Armor All. I had to put alot down to get into the texture of the case. The folks back at corporate headquarters are no doubt having coronaries right now.

I am going to let the case set in the sun a bit to see waht happens to the shine.
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Thanks for sharing your testing with us. We all can't keep reinventing the wheel, and someone like you saves us a ton of time and money. Keep up the good work.
    Ole Jack
    ps by the way I would kill for a pair of Samsonite bags.
    OJ
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Omission

I just realized I didn't mention that the back of the bag was coated with the Mothers Back to Black.

Everything on hold...

Comment

Samsonite response

Well it took a while but Samsonite finally got back to me about the luggage question.

This was in my mailbox this afternoon.

Dear Rodger:

We received your email requesting information on the Samsonite Tri- Bar Motorcycle luggage. We appreciate the time you took to contact us.

This luggage was an older model and we have no information on the material. We suggest to contact a motorcycle
        enthusiast club for assistance in restoring the bags.

We appreciate this opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,
        Gail St. James
        Consumer Relations Representative

Anyone know where I could find some motorcycle enthusiasts??

Everything on hold...

Comment

lol

yeah great service there.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Just another example of the folks running the business being to young to know anything about this stuff, kin dof like taking your carbs to the dealer for service.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Terrible customer service!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
              X