The will to keep it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The will to keep it

Well the boys were up on the island on the weekend. The tinman905 checked out my dead in the water bike. It was as we thought - got a power surge from an electrical storm (get those alot out here) it fried my battey tender, battery & cooked the black electronics box under the seat (ignition box) The bike never started (no spark) since that night. The tinman took the box apart & the board as cooked. I have one coming from Andreas soon as the mail strike up here gets done (as of tommorow). Just thought I'd let everyone know about the possibilty of this when hooked up to the battery tender. Just like a T.V. getting fried in your home from electrical storm. Well no more tender hook up till winter & battery will be disconnected from the bike for that. Lesson learned. Oh, & believe it or not I was about to get another job on the wknds to pay for a brand new M109R & sell the XS1100. The tinman convinced me otherwise. This whole deal was a freak of nature - not the bikes fault. So thank you XS people & also Chopper Dave hehe for the needed kick in the head to get me back on track with 'my' bike I made for myself & still having "the will to keep it" - Dan
    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
    Rebuilt head, valves
    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
    Tkat Fork Brace
    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
    Dyna Coils & wires
    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
    ISO grips with stelleto ends
    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
    Bridgestone Spitfires
    Tuned by Tinman905
    & a will to keep it.

Originally posted by ManitoulinLad View Post
    - got a power surge from an electrical storm (get those alot out here) it fried my battery tender, battery & cooked the black electronics box under the seat (ignition box) - Dan
    Hi Dan,
    good that you got the problem diagnosed and hopefully the posties don't take out their righteous anger on your parcel.
    BTW, I have never had good luck over-wintering a bike battery. I used to have a 14 point program to keep the battery alive until next spring but it never worked.
    I still use step 1) Remove from bike
    but steps 2) through 14) have been replaced by Toss it and buy a new one next spring.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

right on Fred

Yeah for $60.00 a year for a new one in the spring thats what I'm gonna do & no more worries or b.s. electrical nightmares - Dan
      Rebuilt head, valves
      Tkat Fork Brace
      T.C. Spade Fuse Box
      Dyna Coils & wires
      Bridgestone Spitfires
      Tuned by Tinman905
      & a will to keep it.

Comment

never heard of such a thing, especially with the key off. How does the TCI, or anything for that matter get a surge if it's not even in the circuit?
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Duh

Have you ever seen lightening? If you have you know it can jump long distances and a little 1/8" gap in a switch ain't gonna slow it down much.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

That had to be a major downer. Doing something good and it still goes bad.
            Hope the repairs go well.

Fred.. Thats funny.
            1979 XS1100SF
            2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

Duh

Originally posted by planedick View Post
              Have you ever seen lightening? If you have you know it can jump long distances and a little 1/8" gap in a switch ain't gonna slow it down much.
              He didn't say the bike suffered a lightning STRIKE, he said it was a power surge. And, if nothing else in the same house/power system got fried, I was curious as to how this happened.
              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

hi dan

i hope all goes well with your mew TCI! let us know how things work out ,, if i can do anything just call ,,thanks again for the weekend ,,and ride safe ,,slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                  He didn't say the bike suffered a lightning STRIKE, he said it was a power surge. And, if nothing else in the same house/power system got fried, I was curious as to how this happened.
                  It really depends on ground paths, the various resistances through them, and the connected equipment; some items will pass it through easier than others. I had some friends that had a drunk hit the power pole in front of their house and drop the 7.2 KV line across their incoming service cables. Blew the meter clean off the house (never even found any of it!), blew/burned up the meter base and panel, and killed some but not all of their appliances. The TV lived through it, but not the VCR. Killed the oven controls, but not the microwave. It was pretty strange...

Also made some table lamps go off like roman candles... left scorch marks on the ceiling...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    It really depends on ground paths, the various resistances through them, and the connected equipment; some items will pass it through easier than others. I had some friends that had a drunk hit the power pole in front of their house and drop the 7.2 KV line across their incoming service cables. Blew the meter clean off the house (never even found any of it!), blew/burned up the meter base and panel, and killed some but not all of their appliances. The TV lived through it, but not the VCR. Killed the oven controls, but not the microwave. It was pretty strange...

Also made some table lamps go off like roman candles... left scorch marks on the ceiling...
                    That would be awesome to watch!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You're sicker than I thought, Nate!
                      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                        You're sicker than I thought, Nate!
                        Tell me you wouldn't pull up a chair and watch that!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

Many, many years ago when I was an apprentice, the boss and I were called to a farm house to repair some 'damaged' wiring after a lightning strike. This was an old wooden farm cottage built sometime before WW1 and still had most of the old fittings, including the original wall mounted telephone with the mouthpiece on a stalk and the earpiece on a cable held in ones hand. It was originally a wind up type but at some stage it had been converted to a dial when pulse dialling came along. The woman of the house was on the phone at the time and the strike was a direct hit onto the incoming bare phone line. Hands up those who can imagine what was next. The poor woman was left standing in the hallway holding the hand piece and short length of wire while the substantial phone case was blown off the wall and embedded in the opposite wall. Somewhere I have a photo of it and i'll try to dig it up and post, but all that was left was a big black hole in the wall where the phone used to be and a large chunk of broken bakelite and wood on the other side. All the phone line was fried but nothing else in the house was touched. I heard after that it was some weeks before the lady plucked up the courage to use a phone again. I wonder why....
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

got the CDI

Good news in the end. Got the CDI on Tues & pluged it in Tues night & the bike started up right away. Took it to work today. So thats what it was. NO more battery tenders for me. Hey MO I'm back in saddle man, what a rush - Dan
                            Rebuilt head, valves
                            Tkat Fork Brace
                            T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                            Dyna Coils & wires
                            Bridgestone Spitfires
                            Tuned by Tinman905
                            & a will to keep it.

Comment

. Hey MO I'm back in saddle man, what a rush - Dan[/QUOTE] that,s fantastic Dan glad to hear all is well with you ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                              moemcnally@hotmail.com
                              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                              X