paint tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint tank

painted tank a few weeks ago and this is what i used. and put part 1 of the flames today when i got home from work. still got to paint red outline around the silver, and buff the edges, and do side covers when i get some cheap. they are asking gold prices on ebay now days. hope no one needs them that bad. if anyone has a pair for 79 spec. for cheap and are not cracked send pm i will consider taking them. here are some pictures. i have done a lot of spray can painting. this is my first gun job. so i'm no pro, wanting to get good at it and do it for a hobby more or less and see where it leads.
    Last edited by SFSPECBIKER79; 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM. Reason: pictures
    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Looking Good!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Damn Good Job!

Man!
      If that's your first attempt at painting, you might consider it for more than a hobby.

Looks great!
      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

this is my first gun job

Beware people! It might just be a good photo shop job!

Great paint job! All kidding aside, that is slick! I like the way you treated the top of the tank.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Well I happen to have two perfect side covers, so how about you send me your tank and all will be good.

Very nice job. Did you do the fill work where the badges were?
          1979 XS1100SF
          2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

Hotrods always look better with flames! Good job, I'm lookin forward to seeing the finished result.

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
              Hotrods always look better with flames! Good job, I'm lookin forward to seeing the finished result.
              I have to agree...
              Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
              Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

You anywhere near Oklahoma? The only kind of painting I know is with a can of Krylon.

Sometimes I can get flames if I hold a lighter in front of it.

Looks good man!
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

before pictures

Originally posted by skipt View Post
                  Well I happen to have two perfect side covers, so how about you send me your tank and all will be good.

Very nice job. Did you do the fill work where the badges were?
                  someone else filled the badge indents and i removed the paint and cracks. took several attempts to get it back straight.had to grind out the cracks and build it up. reprime,sand,sand,sand. to get it right. here are before pictures. if you send the covers to me i'd be in bussiness. they would'nt have to be perfect. just not cracked, this is the bike i'm going to put the tank on when i get the side covers and finish the painting, this bike i painted with mettalic red spray can and used 5 coats of cut in clear acrylic enamel, it has held up well to gas being spilled on it a few times but i have to wax it each time it happens thanks all for the comments.
                  79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Working...
                  X