Wrecked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecked

So a truck backed out in front of me blocking both lanes and I couldnt stop. Tried till the last second then layed it down hit it. Here are the pics.

'79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
    Green Coils
    SS Brake Lines

Who cares about the bike are YOU ok?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah I am fine. I had helmet and riding jacket with elbow and shoulder pads. Road was a 35 and I was prolly only doing 15 by the time of impact. My friend was riding behind me said I went airborn for a lil then rolled a few more. Went to the ER and got my cat scans and x-rays and all is well just sore as hell. Thanks for asking
      '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
      Green Coils
      SS Brake Lines

Comment

Well now that that is out of the way! Glad your alright!

Guna try and fix the bike?
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah I hope so. It is going to end up coming down to what the insurance gives me and if they total it and sell it back to me. I love the bike and am just totally disgusted about the whole situation. So yeah the main plan is to fix her up and get her back on the road. The fork tubes are 100% bent as well as ALL the headlight assembly ears and gauge brackets. Ignition is broken off and a few turn signals. Other than that the crash bar saved the bike.
          '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
          Green Coils
          SS Brake Lines

Comment

In the first picture where the wheel is pointing to the left the handlebars and tree are straight.
            '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
            Green Coils
            SS Brake Lines

Comment

Any accident you can walk away from is a good one... Yeah, it really sucks, but bikes can be fixed or replaced.

Damage doesn't look too bad. The forks may may be just twisted in the trees, but I'd still pull them and check for any bent parts. The headlight sucks, 'cause those are a bit hard to find, as does the muffler damage. You might be able to straighten the ears and gauge mount.

Good luck!
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Had pretty much the same thing happen to me not long ago exept it was in a parking lot. Minimal damage to the bike and myself but scared the HELL outa me.

Gotta watch those idiots in cages REALLY close.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Glad you are okay

Good luck patching it up.

Comment

Nice save on yourself, glad you're alright!

The bike can be fixed and it beat winding up like one of those suction cup cats stuck to the side of the truck.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Glad to hear no serious injuries occurred. Take it easy for a few, get the ice out.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Glad your ok.
                        Semper Fi!

81 XS11 Special SH

Comment

Good to hear your doing good!!!

As to the bike, those are nice engine guards, the stock ones just fold up like carboard. Like Steve said, the front end may just be turned and not actually damaged. But check those tubes just to be sure. See it moved one of the dust covers off the lower fork. You can find used forks for the special.

Ignition switch is easy to get new. Turn signals are not to hard to find. The headlight bucket itself actually pretty easy as it is the same as an XS750/850 or an XS650 round bucket. The ears are harder to find, but can be had. I straightened a pair out and no one ever noticed. The gages look ok, even the cases look ok, if not, there are plenty of crapped out gages you can get the nice cases off of. And the bracket can be straightened out or replaced easily.

Front fender is not a quick find, but it can be had. But the real heart breaker is the muffler. The exhaust on these beast is the one part that is impossible to find. Really Really sucks.

Glad your ok, that is the hardest part to replace.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Yeah the more I look at it the more I can say it is not so bad. The muffler is what makes me sick though. They were both spotless. I know the left side fork tube is bent but the lowers are ok so no problem there either. I am hoping the ear on the crash bar doesn't crack when I try to bend that back. I am eager to start twisting it back into shape but I have to wait on the adjuster and wait for my body to feel better anyway. One part I found comical is even though the three broken lights busted the glass on the bulbs they all still light up. I tried to start it and it turns over but I am not getting spark on all cylinders so I am going to have to figure out what happened there. The motor, tank, seat and side covers didn't get touched but the impact must have knocked something loose.
                            '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
                            Green Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Comment

The tip over switch is most likely stuck. Unplug it and see if it will start.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X