Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen XS11 recovered!

Fellow XSives -

Those who attended XS Northeast '03 will recall that Jon Oliver's '79 Standard (formerly my XSerendipity) was stolen on the second night of the rally. About a week ago we got a call from the Caribou police to say that they recovered the bike. Some hunters had come across it.

Tina and I went to pick it up from the towing service that picked it up.

Luckily, there was no major damage. The handlebars were bent and there's a small dent in the tank.

Two days before the rally I had epoxied the right fron turn indicator. Once again, it's broken.

And the clutch lever was broken...

Other than that, it was just dirty. After unloading it from the trailer I checked it over and charged the battery. Once the battery was up to snuff, I turned the petcocks to PRIME and it STARTED!

Today I replaced the handlebars and tomorrow we'll replace the clutch handle. If we get another dry day over 20°F, perhaps the two of us will take an XSive ride before the snow flies.

XSively,
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Fellow XSives -

The RoadRunner server is having problems so my pictures didn't show up. I'll let you know when they're back up.

XSively,
    Last edited by Bill; 11-09-2003, 06:47 AM.
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Good news, Bill!

So, they didn't get too far with it, eh? I'm imagining whoever maybe causing their own self some pain when the damage occurred...
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Funny thing, Mike, that's XSactly what Jon said. He also hoped the guy found the XS "just too much bike to handle".

XSively,
        Bill K.
        1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
        1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

It's alive!

Since the bike got home we'd put on the handlebars and replaced the clutch lever.

Today I topped off the tank... it took 5 gallons! (Maybe the thieves just rode it until it ran outa gas!?) No wonder it was running a little rough when I got it home!

Took the seat off to charge the battery again. Then it fired easily with full choke at about 24°F. I let it warm up for about 5 minutes while I bundled up for a cool ride.

The first thing I noticed was the clutch slipped pretty badly. Turned out the cable was adjusted too tight. After I backed off on the adjuster it worked great.

I went for about an 8 mile ride, running through the gears, checking the brakes, etc. The bike ran smooth and strong. Then I remembered why I gave that bike to Jon. It was the most solid, reliable bike I owned and the least likely to need tinkering.

The only down side is that now I'm reminded how unXSpected should be running!

XSively,
          Bill K.
          1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
          1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Xscelleny fine.... nice to see that it is still in the land of the rideables...
            Tom
            2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
            gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Man it sure is great to hear you got it back! (and in useable shape too!)
              Garry
              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

The RoadRunner personal home page server woke up. Anyone who's interested can now you can see the pictures in my original post.

XSively,
                Bill K.
                1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Nice Goin'

I am Glad you got her back! and in relatively good shape considering what she's been through and sitting for so long.
                  The bike has been abused a bit and left (to get lonely ??) and I think she looks in better shape than mine and I have been working on 'the Ole Girl' since July!!!
                  Now winter is upon us and I travelled a grand total of 114kms (just far enough and fast enough to XS'perience what the members here warned me about.... scared the sh*t out of myself LOL )
                  Glad you got her back....
                  Ride safe....
                  '79 Special

Comment

Great

Glad you got Jons bike back , Bill . Still looks good, just in time to hibernate Oh well its only 4 months or so! See ya soon ..........MITCH
                    Doug Mitchell
                    82 XJ1100 sold
                    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
                    X