Scary halloween story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary halloween story

On this past Friday (halloween) I was invited by some friends to meet them at a campground about 45 miles north of home. The weather looked good so I decided to take the bike - got home from work, did a preflight and loaded up. I was in a good mood, the bike was running well and it was warm & clear. I arrived at the campground at about 7:30 and stopped at the check in area, shut the bike off, put it on the sidestand and got off to sign in and stretch. There were 2 older women and a 12 or 13 yr old kid there signing people in. As I started to sign in, the kid said, 'cool, I'm gonna sit on your bike!' I said, 'you really don't want to do that' as his butt hit the seat. The bike was leaning left on a slight downhill - and started to move...I yelled 'you're losing the stand!" and the kid said, 'no, I've got it, I've got it!' just as he and the bike hit the ground - it was surreal, I honestly couldn't believe what I had just seen. The kid's on the ground saying, "it's ok, it's ok - I didn't do it!!' (yeah, right!!!) One of the women helped me pull it back up where I could look for damage. At this point I told the kid to shut up and just get away because I was fairly well P.O.'d. The good news is that it landed on the left handlebar while it was pointing to the right, and the pegs (I think) because there is not even a scratch. They checked me in for free and the kid survived. Anybody ever have anything like that happen? The bike is an '82 and I'm the 3rd owner - and when I bought it I was told that it's never been down. I told (well, yelled) the kid 'Congratulations, this motorcycle is about 10 years older than you and has never touched the ground until you came along!' He just looked sheepish because by now he knew that if I was going to hurt him I would have. So, the beer was cold and the pig was good and everybody lived happily etc. etc.......

Back in 79 I pulled up to work at Circle K in Phoenix AZ. I got off the bike and went inside. About a minute later a woman and little kid (I don't remember the age) started screaming. Seems the little boy liked motorcycles and Mom (not having taught the lad to not touch things that aren't his) grabbed the header pipe and got a fairly bad burn. I felt very sorry for the boy, Mom was screaming at me like it was my fault. Not a pleasant situation. Mom bought her beer, I gave them a bag of ice and a large cup to put ice and his hand in.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I did that when I was a little kid. (Touched a hot header pipe) It was a good educational experiance. I've never touched another persons property again.
      Amazing that she blamed you though. My mom would have smacked me upside the head for touching it and apologised to the evil biker for having an ignorant child.
      79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
      07 V-star 1100
      Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Would have been bad if you had a chrome header, and the kid left some skin on it to mark it up!

Just joking, I am an RN in a pediatric ICU so I have a fairly jaded sense of humor!
        Travis Miller
        1978 E

Comment

Not just kids...

I managed a burn last May from the headers - checking out whether all four were firing!! DOH

My wife likens me to Winnie the Pooh...."a Bear of very little brain".

What do you suppose she means ?
          XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

Working...
          X