Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever heat up their helmut to make it fit better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone ever heat up their helmut to make it fit better?

I just bought a bell drifter helmut and don't like how it fit's. The size is fine, just not used to it.

When I bought my hockey skates, I was told to bake them....20min in the oven to soften them up, put them on for 10min, like majic, custon perfect fit. Has anyone ever done this with a half helmut motorcycle helmut?
    Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
    1978 XS 1100E
    Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
    K & N Air filter
    Home built forward controls
    Vulcan Mustang seat
    A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

I highly doubt that works with helmets. If it did the helmet would say so.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      I just bought a bell drifter helmut and don't like how it fit's. The size is fine, just not used to it.

When I bought my hockey skates, I was told to bake them....20min in the oven to soften them up, put them on for 10min, like majic, custon perfect fit. Has anyone ever done this with a half helmut motorcycle helmut?
      i suggest just wearing it till it feels normal...
      Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
      Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Or you could purchase a helmet with REAL protection.....just sayin'.....
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

All helmets are going to feel weird when you first get them. The foam hasn't formed to your head yet. I wouldn't suggest baking it, that's for sure. The foam may just melt and loose it's elastic qualities.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            I just bought a bell drifter helmut and don't like how it fit's. - - -
            Hi Brad,
            skates are made from a thermoplastic that can be re-shaped with heat.
            Helmets ain't. Besides, you'd have to take the foam liner out before heating the shell, eh?
            IMHO, best use for that style of pseudo-helmet is upside down filled with dirt and planted with tulips.
            BTW, you or any other western Canadian wanna '78?
            This ad in today's Saskatoon Star-Phoenix.
            1978 Yamaha XS1100 needs carb. work $650 obo (306) 382-0225
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My guess would be that heating it would make the shell brittle, and therefore more prone to crack in an accident. Just like Bug said, you have to wear it until it "fits".
              Richard
              '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
              '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Yeah, I don't see heat being a good idea...
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  BTW, you or any other western Canadian wanna '78?
                  This ad in today's Saskatoon Star-Phoenix.
                  1978 Yamaha XS1100 needs carb. work $650 obo (306) 382-0225
                  Sure, you wanna buy it for me?

If it's still around in a month, I'll have a look at it.

Bob
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                  X