spam beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spam beware

i have had problems with my personal email box. and today microsoft locked my email mailbox, so i can't receive emails until my idenity has been verified. takes 24 hrs. i have noticed spam in my box for several months. and it all started here when i sold some parts to a fellow in calf. no offense to anyone in that state or anyone here and im not going to call any names, because i have sent lots of people in calf. parts. also i have been getting pm messages from people here wanting parts, that have been registered on this site for several years and have not made any posts. they have been just lookin in other words. they request they want something and i have replyed back, pmed them back. and they dont dont follow up. go figure. just thought i would bring it up to let everyone know some one has broken my code. but its going to take awhile for me to get things bullet proof again. just to be safe and let you all know that putting phone numbers, email addresses, and your real names and where you live, your age and who you know and so on up in these forums. is very very risky, it gives the spamers a good place to start their attacks. and they work desperately to bring you down. sooo, i know i am in the process of makeing a couple sales at the moment and as of today. anyone wanting any of my parts i have listed will have to wait til i post a new thread in the for sale section. i'm not going under cover. i got a lot of work to do to get things secure again. going to format my computers and the whole 9 yards. and rowdyboy will finally be put to rest. but will return to xs11dotcom with a new alias. you may see me logged on here a couple more days and i will not reply to any pms except the two persons i have contacted on monday the 16th. and they know who they are and allready have the information they need to complete the final sale of rowdyboy321. this also will be rowdyboy321's final post. so long for now.
    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

I feel kinda sad...

Like we're losing you

I know you will be back - just weird...

Thanks for the heads up!

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I recently had someone hack my yahoo email account. They managed to discover my password, and were sending spam messages from directly in my account (they showed up in my sent items). Not sure how they got in, but after changing my password, the problems have stopped. Sorry to hear you got hit a bit harder, but I can't see how your username here could be at all linked to problems with an MSN account.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

If he is using Exploder for a browser, ANYTHING can happen! ALL of the microsoft products are tied into one another, so if someone hacks one thing, they have free range of ALL your stuff.
        One reason I use a firewall and FireFox as a browser.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Unfortunately any and ALL of the browsers can get hacked if you don't practice safe computing and keep them patched. This includes firefox, safari, chrome (which is my primary browser), IE etc. I try to make sure to keep them all up to date, which means always using the latest version (IE 9 and vista or W7 on most of my computers). Both my hotmail accounts got hacked about 6 months ago, almost at the exact same time, and I don't EVER log into them through the computer, so it had to be brute force attacks (which is probably why my phone can't get mail several times a day, it gets locked out). I don't ever use the web interface, so I used a very complex password phrase when I changed it, and my phone and outlook both remember it for me just fine (plus the password vault on my phone just in case). The hackers are getting better at this too, with more money behind them, which means that they can throw more computer botnets behind the job of cracking your password, and the easier it is for YOU to remember your password, the easier it is for them to crack it. It's getting scary, cause their starting to target the smart phones with email attachments now too.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

did you use this?

Cy - did you use this:

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Hey Rowdy,

I didn't try sending you a PM because you may not bother trying to read it or access your account!?

If you'll use the Contact Us email link when you're ready, then I can create a new account for you. I can also ALTER your existing account, the email address, the password, the USERNAME, etc., and that way you won't loose your post count, or your PM's and such. Let me know!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

email

TC - I fwd your msg to his email account - assuming he keeps it - hopefully he'll get it.

John

Comment

TC - he got the email

and will use your contact link when he finishes setting everything up - seemed happy at the thought of getting to keep his PM messages and stuff -

good work.

John

Comment

Back on site

finally got every thing up to date and added a few more layers of protection. as you can see i have changed my user name, rowdyboy was a bear dog i had and i lost him in 2000 when he was struck by a car and died. my new user name is a little more user friendly, thanks to TC i still have my post count and all my previous posts. and is still connected to my new accout on xs11.com. lucky me my email account was only thing affected, spam messages were being sent with it. i know one member received spam from my email. if he reads this just change your password and scan your computer and delete the trojen, if found during scan. same for anyone else if they received spam from rowdyboy.
                    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

welcome back

hey great news. hope everything stays kosher.

john

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                        Cy - did you use this:

John
                        Ah, I finally got what you meant! No, I use a random generated passphrase that I cannot remember. It doesn't really matter that I can't remember it cause if I need to use it on the computer I use my password vault on my smart phone to pull it up and then I type it in. On my computer I use facial recognition software to remember my passwords, and it uses my face to verify it's me before presenting the credentials (on my laptop, the work computer is different, so far, think I'm gonna add a web cam to it though).
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                        X